Archinect
anchor

Acceptance at UBC and McGill

NickaM

Hello everyone,

I've applied to UBC and McGill for the Master of Architecture program, I'm still waiting for my acceptance letter, they said it will arrive from March-June ( if I do get accepted that is), and I'm actually pretty nervous, because firstly, even though I am a Canadian citizen I got my Bachelor of Architectural Engineering from Iran, so I am a little nervous about their opinion of schools in Iran. My second concern is the priorities that the admission committee at both schools have in mind while viewing applications. To tell you the truth I've had a pretty hard 4 years back here I lost a loved one and my mother was sick (thankfully now she's better) and as I was a sole care giver, considering life circumstances it was a little hard for me to focus on my studies. Anyway, I was able to reach a CGPA of 3.00 which was the minimum CGPA required for both schools. My portfolio and CV and cover letter and reference letters are really good, I'm pretty confident about them, it's just my grades that worry me. Does anyone know what the admission committee focus on the most? I wish to get accepted in both schools, although I am wishing a bit harder on McGill, because it is only 1.5 years, whereas UBC is 3 years, and I am guessing that means I'll probably have to study some courses I've already studied. Thank you in advance for your kind responses.

Feb 28, 17 12:46 pm
Non Sequitur

To be brutally honest, McGill is the 2nd best program in the country and is very competitive. Most applicants have local (and relevant) architecture backgrounds too. UBC's 3y deal is ideal for foreign educated students because it will, as you suspect, provide you with courses most non-arch applicants do not have.  It may be repetitive at times, but compared to the higher-standard applicants at McGill, it's a more reasonable target.

Feb 28, 17 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
NickaM

Thank you, your answer is very reasonable and helpful in that matter. Do you by any chance know anyone who went there and their thoughts about the school? I've really studied into it, and well all the knowledge I have about McGill is based on the rankings. I don't really know anybody who went there. My sister studied medicine at McGill, but obviously the architecture department is different. I've heard in some cases UBC is actually getting tougher and harder to get in than McGill

Mar 1, 17 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
zs_47

i had my undergrad at Mcgill. The school is pretty theory heavy, with 4 arch history classes ranging from antiquities to post modernism. From what I heard Mcgill's grad school is pretty hard to get in if you are an outsider. For Mcgill undergrads its relatively easy. I do find Mcgill's design approach leaning more towards the art side of architecture rather than the practical/technical side. But as it's the case for any arch school, the most determining factor of your learning is YOU and not the school. Hope this helps.

Mar 18, 17 12:17 am  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

I attended UBC, but now that I think about it, I started ten years ago. I came from a non architecture background and was told they leaned more towards creative students over technical ( this going back to comments from nearly 14 years ago). I don't think UBC has the most technical slant in its program, but then again I never personally compared to other schools.

I did 3.5 years, and most coming from architecture related undergrads did it in 3, although some even less I think. I think they had one less studio to do which is a huge load off. 

I'm sure you can argue some of the courses are redundant and have your previous ones recognised. 

Feb 28, 17 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
NickaM

Thank you for your kind response. Based on your own experience at UBC, would you say that it's mostly theory focused or do they work enough on the "creativity and design studio" side of architecture? One of my sisters did a fine arts under-grad and then did a M.Arch at UBC and was quite disappointed and I said " the professors lacked the potential to give away their knowledge", and dropped out and went to Barcelona instead!!! But she's quite a gypsy and of course that is just one opinion. I would love to hear about your personal experience as someone who studied there. I think my sister, like you was doing her masters at UBC around 10-11 years ago

Mar 1, 17 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect's comment has been hidden
starrchitect

McGill, hands down. Montreal has much sweeter poon than BC.

Mar 1, 17 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
borispmchan

Hi there,

The title scared the shit out of me since I thought they say offers usually roll out after mid March. 

I'm also applying for UBC (M.Arch + MLA) & Calgary (M.Arch) this year. For a foreign student with no design background whatsoever, it's more like a "Hail Mary" for me since I'm undecided on whether I should follow my heart and study architecture or make the rational choice of transferring from my MPhil in medicine to a PhD programme.

Damn I hate waiting for the results. Apparently they've extended the application deadline to cater for prospective students affected by Trump's Muslim ban, just wonder if that means competition is going to be stiffer than ever and the result release day will be postponed.

Best of luck mate, you'll get it.

Mar 3, 17 10:53 am  · 
 · 
NickaM

Hey there,

Wow that's crazy I had no idea they've extended the deadlines due to the muslim ban in US. It's only reasonable, but yeah it may mean more heavier competition! Best of luck to you.

And about following your heart and/or the rational choice... I would go with the first one! you'll probably regret not choosing that path in the future.

Mar 15, 17 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
borispmchan

Oi mate have you heard anything from UBC? Getting a bit impatient since there's absolutely no news whatsoever

Mar 14, 17 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
NickaM

Hey there,

Wow that's crazy I had no idea they've extended the deadlines due to the muslim ban in US. It's only reasonable, but yeah it may mean more heavier competition! Best of luck to you.

And about following your heart and/or the rational choice... I would go with the first one! you'll probably regret not choosing that path in the future. 

Mar 15, 17 11:59 am  · 
 · 
borispmchan

I've applied already, fingers crossed. Someone on GradCafe said he/she has received an email stating his/her application is wait-listed. Now I'm starting to worry...

Mar 15, 17 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
borispmchan

Apparently they're sending out results... Still no news for me :(
http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=UBC+architecture&t=a&o=&pp=25

Mar 17, 17 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
heesabby

Hey peeps,

I also applied to UBC M.Arch (3 year), and I ONLY applied to UBC. I'm checking my email 30 times a day, and I'm so anxious I can't do anything all day! Did everyone hear back yet? 

Mar 18, 17 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
borispmchan

Check out their official enrolment number 
Makes me wonder how many candidates they accept every year...

Mar 19, 17 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
borispmchan

Everyone's posting "waitlisted" and "rejected" on Gradcafe so far... My wishful thinking's they'll send out acceptance later but no administrative staff in his right mind would do so. Feels like I'm on the death row now. :(
P.S. there's no official figure for the M.Arch+ MLA I'm applying to :(

Mar 19, 17 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
heesabby

I didn't hear anything yet too. :( I think M.Arch + MLA was new program that they started last year (?) so they might not have much information. Hopefully, result will come out soon. I'm being impatient :S

Mar 19, 17 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
borispmchan

Can't remember where I've heard that from, but some said just 5 were in the dual programme class... Stupid me :(

Mar 19, 17 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
heesabby

That's tough :S well, let's hope we will hear the good news soon. :)

Mar 19, 17 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
borispmchan

Fingers crossed, it's my third attempt to get into architecture school since my sixth form matriculation :S

Mar 19, 17 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
heesabby

Hey! I got my acceptance offer via email. Did you find out?

Mar 20, 17 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
borispmchan

Congratulations! Still haven't heard a thing though :(

Mar 20, 17 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
borispmchan

Mine still says in progress... Doesn't sound like too much progress...

Mar 20, 17 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
heesabby

Thank you, and I hope you hear back soon! you probably made it :)

Mar 20, 17 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
borispmchan

Hopefully...This wait's driving me crazy :S

Mar 20, 17 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
heesabby

I feel ya, i think you will hear back this week latest!

Mar 20, 17 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
borispmchan

So happy for you mate! If nothing happens this week I'll call it a day.

Mar 20, 17 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
borispmchan

Just got rejected as expected. :(

Mar 21, 17 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
borispmchan

Wish I can get into Calgary :( :( :(

Mar 21, 17 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
heesabby

:( Best of luck! Update me please

Mar 22, 17 9:17 am  · 
 · 
borispmchan

Just got rejected too... Wondering if I should try again next year :(

Apr 6, 17 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
heesabby

ahhhh bummer... I'm sorry to hear that! I don't know whether I have enough skills to get in to architecture but it will be great if I can help you! If you are applying again and want me to review your portfolio lemme know! My email is [email protected]

Apr 7, 17 10:52 am  · 
 · 
borispmchan

At least you're one step closer mate, you'll do well I'm sure. That's very kind of you! best of luck with your study!
By the way would you mind sharing your portfolio? My email's [email protected]
Cheers :D 

Apr 7, 17 11:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: