Archinect
anchor

Pritzker 2017

Kidd

Who is your pick for this year? I'm looking at Steven Holl to finally get it this year, bucking the trend of socially inclined housing oriented projects and politcal correctness. If not him, then I would love to see Jeanne Gang get it (maybe too early for her). Or David Adajye would win it because BHM?

Feb 28, 17 10:54 am

4 Featured Comments

All 37 Comments

randomised

Mecanoo - Francine Houben (because they just don't do bad buildings)

MVRDV - Winy Maas (because they experiment and get it build)

UNStudio - Ben van Berkel (because they know when to stop with the curves)

Feb 28, 17 11:19 am  · 
 · 
Kidd

I would be fine with either of those choices. How rustled would jimmies be if BIG got it?

Feb 28, 17 11:25 am  · 
 · 

Honestly, the fact that BIG has gotten so far within so few years it wouldn't be undeserved. I'm not a fan of the built diagrams, but the dude has skyrocketed big time.

I'm hoping Holl myself. I'm still hella inspired from visiting the Hamsunsenteret last September.

Feb 28, 17 11:28 am  · 
 · 
M_ARCHhopeful

I think Pritzker is gonna go -- BIG 

Feb 28, 17 11:38 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I think it's a bit early for BIG - Bjarke Ingels or perhaps already too late :)

He's so fishing for it, it almost becomes obnoxious, he kind of thinks it's more or less in the pocket because he was selected for the Serpentine Pavilion...(at least that's how I interpret that fragment in his Abstract episode on Netflix)

I have yet to see a BIG project, not a renovation of a dry dock or warehouse, that can stand the test of time and is not relying on a whimsical gimmick to sell the project. He knows what to say and when to say it, but somehow I just don't believe him. To me  he comes across as the Tom Cruise of architecture who's jumping on Oprah's couch.

Feb 28, 17 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Medians

I don't understand any praise for Jeanne Gang - she did one building of any significance and that was only a one trick pony on aesthetics. The fact she received the McArthur Genius award has proven that award to be meaningless now. I just don't understand the praise she gets with her work being so irrelevant to the discipline and to the discourse in both practice and in academia, she provides nothing of note worthiness.

I would like to see Diller Scofidio win it, but it seems now the award is becoming more about social issue so I think if they continue on this trend it could be a surprise.

Feb 28, 17 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

They ruined their chances after the Folk Art debacle I suppose, all they have left of some significance is the High Line and that's mostly James Corner and Piet Oudolf with DS+R just doing a couple of benches.

Feb 28, 17 12:31 pm  · 
 · 

Totally disagree on Gang only doing "one building". I'll explain more in a separate comment below.

Feb 28, 17 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
think_again

A Spain based practice has a good chance. RCR, SelgasCano and even Mansilla & Tuñon. France's Lacaton and Vassal also resonate.

Feb 28, 17 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Gehry:  "...And the Pritzker goes too... ... .... Bjarke Ingels, for his all his big, goofy, publicity-grabbing work over the last several years.  Get on up here, you Danish dreamboat!"

[Gehry, others mulling around...]

"Wait!  There's been a boo-boo... this year's Pritzker goes to Steven Holl!  Steve, bring it on up.  Sorry, Bjarke, not your year.  Sit down.  No, seriously, sit down, Bjarke."

Feb 28, 17 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Hopefully it won't be another PC stunt like how they pulled last year. 

Feb 28, 17 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Yeah let's hope they're as un-PC as possible. That's good for the image of the profession.

Feb 28, 17 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

Donald Trump!  Make Pritzker Great Again!!!

Feb 28, 17 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Honesty is a good image for the profession.

[Edit]: Btw, last year's Pritzker darling ain't the angel everyone thinks he is, just ask randomised ;)

Feb 28, 17 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Yep, Aravena doesn't pay his interns. That's what I heard first hand from an intern at a previous job who applied at Elemental and got through their selection process.

Feb 28, 17 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

That's unfortunate. TBH I was never crazy about Aravena, but to brush it off as "PC" is stupid. Mostly I'm just sick of hearing the term "PC" thrown about by people who are too lazy to actually think up a proper justification for their knee-jerk opinions. (nothing against archietechie... that's a general pet peeve of mine)

Feb 28, 17 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
think_again

What is "PC"?

Mar 1, 17 11:18 am  · 
 · 
tduds

"Politically Correct"

Mar 1, 17 11:25 am  · 
 · 
think_again

Thanks tduds. I agree, when we use "PC" as an argument we make no progress. For me Aravena's "Reporting from the Front" along with his body of work cemented his career and equally worthy of nomination for the prize.

Mar 1, 17 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

Toshiko Mori

Feb 28, 17 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

I want this televised and Steve Harvey to host it

Feb 28, 17 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Its funny how the spanish architects are all about just design design design... I have yet to hear a spanish architect discuss anything technical on this forum.

Feb 28, 17 4:59 pm  · 
 · 

Jeanne Gang has done far more than "one building".

She explored curved and pinned wood for a sexy, sexy pavilion.

She won an AIA Honor Award for the smart, sleek Boathouse in Chicago.

And the Writer's Theater employs a panties-wetting wood structural detail. 

That's only three of many buildings. She deserves it.

Feb 28, 17 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

2017 is a good year, two extremely strong female architects in the running for this prize, who are the jurors?

Mori's Thread project in Senegal looks like a space you just want to experience from the images, but I don't think it is just because of the images.

But that Writer's Theatre is damn fine and Studio Gang deserve it too.

Is that 2017 and 2018 settled?

Feb 28, 17 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse
Patrik Schumacher
Feb 28, 17 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
sidewinder

Lacaton & Vassal has to be a darkhorse candidate here. They fit the socially oriented design trend.

Mar 1, 17 1:36 am  · 
 · 
randomised

"Its funny how the spanish architects are all about just design design design... I have yet to hear a spanish architect discuss anything technical on this forum."

Well, maybe they don't need to discuss technical issues because they've got it all figured out :) In Spain the architect is responsible for the build so they have to know about construction and details etc. they can't hide behind architects of record, they are very sought after in Europe actually because they can back it up. Another thing, there might not be many Spanish archinectors here to begin with and I guess there's also a kind of language barrier.

Mar 1, 17 2:06 am  · 
 · 
randomised

edit: Just look at the precise and refined work of Alberto Campo Baeza, Barozzi/Veiga, Emilio Tuñón, Carme Pinos or Cruz y Ortiz.

Mar 1, 17 3:41 am  · 
 · 
think_again

+1 (we need a thumb up on this forum)

Mar 1, 17 11:10 am  · 
 · 
think_again

A. Zaera makes this exact point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1SPr9TBbqA

Mar 1, 17 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
Seconded Donna. Jeanne Gang would be a worthy recipient. And for the love of all that is holy don't joke about Patrimetric winning.
Mar 1, 17 8:35 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Jeanne Gang would indeed be a worthy winner, but Patrik Schumacher would also be a great winner, the restraint that the recent output of ZHA shows is quite successful in my opinion.

Mar 1, 17 8:44 am  · 
 · 

And had we bet, Jose would have won the pool.

Mar 1, 17 10:04 am  · 
 · 
think_again

Next year Josh. Lacaton and Vassal deserve the prize as well.

Mar 1, 17 11:24 am  · 
 · 
Medians

RCR - awesome they are quite amazing at what they do.

I will further reinstate that Jeanne Gang is not worthy of a pritzker - her work is good but it is not at this level. The work cited by Donna has not provided anything to the discipline that hasn't been done dozens of times before... I just can't understand that love of Jeanne Gang - there are hundreds more qualified and have done far more meaningful work.

Mar 1, 17 10:05 am  · 
 · 
cipyboy

Jeanne Gang is also a baby Rem right? so, there you go...

Mar 1, 17 10:10 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Congrats to the people with stocks in Cor-Ten steel.

Mar 1, 17 10:17 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

I don't know, Jeanne's fire station is pretty good but I don't think any of her projects are worthy of the prestige as of yet. Think she needs more time to metastasize her ideas.

Zaha would flip in her grave if Patrik had won.

Mar 1, 17 10:23 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

"In this day and age, there is an important question that people all over the world are asking, and it is not just about architecture; it is about law, politics, and government as well. We live in a globalized world where we must rely on international influences, trade, discussion, transactions, etc. But more and more people fear that, because of this international influence, we will lose our local values, our local art, and our local customs. They are concerned and sometimes frightened. Rafael Aranda, Carme Pigem and Ramon Vilalta tell us that it may be possible to have both. They help us to see, in a most beautiful and poetic way, that the answer to the question is not ‘either/or’ and that we can, at least in architecture, aspire to have both; our roots firmly in place and our arms outstretched to the rest of the world. And that is such a wonderfully reassuring answer, particularly if it applies in other areas of modern human life as well."

Mar 1, 17 10:51 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Espana, FTW.

Mar 1, 17 10:57 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I'm sure RCR would be able to design a beautiful pre-rusted Cor-Ten steel border wall for Trump though...

Mar 1, 17 11:16 am  · 
 · 
think_again

...and the tunnels as well. 

Mar 1, 17 11:21 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Yep, they are integral...it would all feel so natural, like it's always been this way

Mar 1, 17 11:42 am  · 
 · 
Kidd

http://www.archdaily.com/806200/2017-pritzker-prize-rcr-arquitectes-rafael-aranda-carme-pigem-ramon-vilalta

I guess. I'll have to familiarize myself with their work, but at the moment, I'm not overly impressed with rusted steel panels and earth materials. 

Mar 1, 17 11:52 am  · 
 · 
think_again

paradoxically their work is about the lack of matter. Even in their watercolors, form disappears into the landscape.

Mar 1, 17 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
Kidd

Do you have any examples? I'm trying to navigate their website but it is trying to put it politely.

Although this is a cool image. http://rcrbunkafundacio.cat/fons-rcr/obres/o-01-5-restaurant-les-cols/300/

Mar 1, 17 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
think_again

they're not part of the populists, I guess not 'til now. best way to read about their work is El Croquis.

Mar 1, 17 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
think_again

Surprisingly the pritzer has good material about their work. check it out. http://www.pritzkerprize.com/2017/2017-announcement-video

Mar 1, 17 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
wunder_waffle

http://divisare.com/

^better documentation of their work

Mar 1, 17 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
think_again

great sauce.

Mar 1, 17 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
think_again

cheers for group work.

Mar 1, 17 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
randomised

Funny how many are unfamiliar with their work, they were huge during my studies, everybody was slamming cor-ten on everything after their croquis came out.

Mar 1, 17 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
ovalle

I find it strange too. During my studies in the late 90's early 2000's, we were all addicted to their first El Croquis. RCR's Riudaura Civic Center will forever remain to me as one of their most beautiful built projects. Material, scale, and proportion are all on point.

Mar 1, 17 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
think_again

I came across their work after Soulages work appeared in DETAIL. 

Mar 4, 17 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
Archinect

In the Archinect news: Rafael Aranda, Carme Pigem, Ramon Vilalta named 2017 Pritzker Prize Winners

Mar 1, 17 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

As I had never heard of them before, it made me think about how and to whom we show our work, if we show it at all. 

Mar 1, 17 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

totally agree with above...if you don't know the secret handshake forget about it.  

They have nice reductive minimalist work but also some clunky odd detailing....strange contrast.  

Mar 1, 17 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

Peter Eisenman didn't get it?! This is a travesty!

Mar 1, 17 6:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: