Archinect
anchor

UCLA M.Arch 1 offer and concern about parametric design

yoyoyoyoyo

So basically I have got accepted by UCLA M.Arch 1 (3 year).

I am excited to be admitted by the prestigious school, but at the same time a little bit concern about the style.

My portfolio didn’t demonstrate much interest in parametric design but my understanding is that the school is kind of digital style, like making complex form.

The 1 year program is led by Greg Lynn and I have to say that this is totally not my style.

I am not sure if 3-year program is in a style similar to the 1-year. But im afraid that the general trend in the school is parametric design even there are different studios available.

I am a bit confused right now coz im more into East Coast traditional and theoretical style but not West Coast digital...

Knowing that I should step out of my comfort zone, I applied both UCB and UCLA and wish to try out something different from my typical style, but it comes to the decision time Im a bit worried.

Does anyone study in UCLA before and can share a little bit about it? Is it true that most students do parametric in school or can we actually choose our own path? More specifically, does the school provide enough support to students who don’t do parametric?

I would also like to know about the number of students in M.Arch 1 and the admission rate.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Feb 28, 17 1:21 am
Kell

There is no parametric design taught at UCLA's 3 year program. That is looked down upon generally.  I cannot say much about the 1 year program since that is on another campus.  

Yes there is the digital in the sense that computers are used and work is printed.  But software is not taught in studio wide courses. There are specific courses or seminars that introduce software techniques but are limited to such.  

While there is some component of form embedded into the curriculum, I would say that the school is fairly balanced. There are studios that deal much within the practical sense of the field and others that are more speculative. The work is also diverse and reflective of students interests.   It is what you make of it and what your interested in.  And once again there is no trend whatsoever of parametric design at UCLA's 3 year program.  

Feb 28, 17 4:06 am  · 
 · 
randomised

You applied to a university without knowing what they actually teach? Congrats and enjoy the ride! Did you even check their website? There are links to either the catalogue and student projects on there.

You're going to have a tough time, it's one thing to not be into parametric design but to not know how to utilise a webbrowser ;-)

How did you manage to join archinect all by your self?

Feb 28, 17 5:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: