Archinect
anchor

Advice on physics pre-requisite

Bisdak

So I have been accepted to three M.Arch I programs so far, two of which are UT Austin and the University of Utah. UT Austin won't have scholarship info until the end of March, but at Utah I received a good scholarship. For that program, I need to take 2 physics courses, and I'd need them done by May 15. I could take them through BYU Independent Study, which seems very difficult but definitely doable.

For UT Austin, I only need one Physics class which I can easily and cheaply complete during the summer at a local community college.

I am curious if anyone has any advice on what to do, and especially other good options for fulfilling the 2 semesters of physics pre-requisite, most likely in the form of self-paced online classes. Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

Feb 27, 17 4:39 pm
archietechie

Isn't it better if you consult the academic/student advisors directly?

Feb 27, 17 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
Bisdak

I've talked to them at the U of Utah and they don't have advice for someone in my situation, I just need two semesters of college physics.

Feb 27, 17 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

they don't have advice for someone in my situation

That'd be a pretty big red flag to me.

Feb 27, 17 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
Bisdak

@tduds All I mean is, specific advice. They didn't say, for example, "X University has a great online self-paced physics option." I didn't really expect them to, to be honest, and I don't consider it a red flag at all.

Feb 27, 17 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

Architects need Physics like an alligator needs a bicycle. 

Mar 1, 17 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Taking college physics made structural design courses / exams a breeze, compared to all the art school kids who I'm pretty sure still don't understand what a moment of inertia is.

Mar 1, 17 6:45 pm  · 
 · 

Sorry buddy you are damn wrong on this. Physics is important, not only for understanding structures, but understanding life in general. Everyone should take it.

Mar 1, 17 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

I'll remember that next time I am at the NYC DOB debating zoning resolution interpretations or telling the contractor for the billionth time to read the specs. 

For an architect:

Structures= sum of all forces add up to zero. 

Moment of Inertia= as long as nothing's rotating we're good. 

"For understanding life in general." LOL. Clearly someone is barely out of school. 

Mar 1, 17 8:12 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, or not.

Mar 2, 17 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I'll remember that next time I am at the NYC DOB debating zoning resolution interpretations or telling the contractor for the billionth time to read the specs.

Knowing this doesn't justify not knowing physics.

You'd think having a broad skill set across multiple intersecting disciplines would be a desirable trait.

Mar 2, 17 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

A desirable trait by who?

The days of broad skill sets are over. Everything is being specialized into microdisciplines.  If you want to pick up hobbies, that's a different story.

Mar 2, 17 1:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: