Archinect
anchor

My tutor likes my work

Non-ASD Jequitarchitectur

At today's tutorial my perfectionist tutor said he actually likes my work. He claimed to be impressed my some parts of the portfolio.

This is a first for me.

I feel genuinely happy for the first time after a long period of misery, although I suspect this might be a mood swing, indicative of bipolar disorder or some sort of mental health disease because I have been very depressed over a long time (and architecture school is to blame for).

Has this ever happened to you?

Feb 27, 17 2:46 pm
archietechie

grats...

Feb 27, 17 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

If you've been very depressed for a long time then you should seek help.  It's not architecture school that is to blame for that - and it's not you either.  Depression is a disease.  Architecture school may not be the best environment for you when you're depressed, but it's not the underlying cause.

As for your tutor's opinion: congratulations!  Most students are happy when that happens, and unhappy when they feel that their work is unliked by their teachers.  That's pretty normal.  Yes, it's a mood swing, but an understandable one that was started by easily identifiable outside circumstances.  That's not a sign of mental illness, it's just happiness, go with it.

Feb 27, 17 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I've had one prof, back in 2007 who was a literal relic from the crazy bygone 60s & 70s studio culture. He was an old & cranky chap always swearing at students, asking them to drop out, tearing models, demanding 100+ hour studios, top quality hand-crafted models, etc etc.

I did well in his course because I saw through the act and talked/asked intelligent questions but still, very little impressed him and his notion of a "good project" was a C. (he was notorious for awarding F- grades).

As I was cleaning up my work later in the day following my last presentation,  he stopped by and from across the room nodded to me and told me "good work". Best compliment I've gotten in my entire undergrad... and I finished with an A in class.

Feb 27, 17 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

More importantly, do your clients like your work :)

Feb 28, 17 3:52 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
^yes
Feb 28, 17 6:25 am  · 
 · 
randomised

nice, that's what it's all about

Feb 28, 17 7:49 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

The thing is, clients always like the designs unless they are over budget. Nothing like the grumpy old professors.

Feb 28, 17 9:45 am  · 
 · 
randomised

If you can't engage your client with your design you have a serious problem. If you can't engage an old grumpy professor, who's dwelling on the past, failed as a practitioner himself and takes it out on students well so be it...

Mar 1, 17 2:16 am  · 
 · 
your conscience

we have djt as potus and depression is a disease? if u not depressed somethings wrong

Feb 28, 17 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
RTVSkaarchitecture

is there somewhere in the world where a tutor is the same thing as a professor?
pic is original content

Mar 5, 17 10:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: