Archinect
anchor

Critique This Sketch

AlnK

Hi all,

Do you think this sketch has any possible value for sale? Any sketching/drawing feedback will be appreciated!

AK

Feb 27, 17 12:16 pm
chigurh

8/10 

Feb 27, 17 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

you could probably sell that as a one-off, but that kind of sketch translates into printmaking really well, both for technique and subject matter. You might want to take an etching class and make that into an edition. There is a niche printmaking market for that kind of work.

Feb 27, 17 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
AlnK

I just checked the etching demonstration on YouTube after your feedback. The whole process is very cool but it requires a lot of tools to be able to produce the work.. not sure if I'll have enough time to do that now lol but I'll find an local etching class for more info. Thanks a lot!

Feb 27, 17 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Ardei

I like this drawing, especially those sharp lines! I will give some feedback which I would probably receive for this kind of drawing in the drawing schools I attended.
I assume that the drawing is from the perspective of a person standing on the street. Try to draw people's heads on the same level (horizon line) - I see quite a big difference between the first person and the ones at the very back. Also keep the proportions - an adult's head usually fits 9 times in their height. And what they also taught me is to avoid drawing objects which do not entirely fit in the drawing, like the car in the front.
In some objects the lines seem to have a too big slope, for example the shops' signboards, some of the cars - two vanishing point are placed at a bigger distance from each other, in this case at least 1,5 length of the paper sheet.
It could also be nice to give some of the facades 'colours' by shading them more.

Feb 27, 17 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
AlnK

I took the photo with my arms raised so it was a little higher than eye-level. Isn't 9 times considered as the professional model scale and it's rare? But yeah the body proportions are little bit off. I was trying to sketch each human figure in one stroke and it didn't work out well lol. Yes I should learn how to avoid certain drawing objects better in terms of overall composition. Thanks for the feedback!

Feb 27, 17 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I'm not a fan of sketches done after the fact from photographs... They seem too rigid.

With that said, if the line work was more varied and sparser, and printed on A0 size paper... that would make a nice living room art-piece.

Feb 27, 17 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
AlnK

Agree. Most of my on-site sketches were done in 30-50 min and they look more vivid despite the level of details (I spent 3-4 hours on this one.. 6 years ago lol). I am just not sure if people in general are more favored to typical architectural sketches than the well detailed drawings. Thanks for the feedback!

Feb 27, 17 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Not enough contrast, messy infills of the surfaces, leaning buildings and the chosen vantage point and horizon are not consistent.

Feb 28, 17 4:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: