Archinect
anchor

Abstract: The Art of Design on Netflix. Watch it.

I know I sound like a fan girl but seriously: go watch this series. Especially for us, of course, the episode on Bjarke Ingels, but the entire series is an amazing and fun peek into the work process of creative designers. We will ALL find things to relate to in every episode, I promise.

The series is here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6333098/

and we interview Morgan Neville, producer and director, on Sessions here: http://archinect.com/news/article/149992356/the-big-abstract-a-conversation-with-morgan-neville-director-producer-of-abstract-s-bjarke-ingels-documentary-on-netflix

There has been a big buzz about this series in the architecture world and it is well-deserved. My teenage son has been entranced by them, and I watch them with a big smile on my face!

Some of my favorite moments:

-when Bjarke talks about the pond behind his house being a barrier, until it freezes over, when suddenly it becomes a connector
-when Es Devlin talks about starting with a blank sheet of paper on a blank surface, and then everything gets cluttered and "feral" during her creative process
-when Christoph Niemann does anything and everything. OMG

Enjoy.

Feb 23, 17 9:02 pm
lukeggg

the best moment of all is in the Bjarke Ingles episode when they present the "negative viewpoints" on his works, and it is all from here on Archinect (podcast and discussions). I assume you guys knew Sessions would be making a guest appearance? 

Feb 23, 17 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Edit

Feb 23, 17 10:47 pm  · 
 · 

We actually had no idea they used clips from Archinect until we watched the episode to prepare for our discussion with Morgan.

Feb 24, 17 12:49 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Nope, I watched the episode the day before for prep. I was giggling all day.

Feb 23, 17 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

My favourite would have to be Es Devlin's dad, that guy can crochet!

Feb 26, 17 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
archinet

They showed one of my comments on Archinect on the BIG episode! I had no idea- what a surprise! 

Feb 26, 17 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Es Devlin is my new hero.  Amazing. 

Feb 26, 17 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Yeah... I saw the episode and felt bad all day.  Lol.  Lesson learned to avoid hyperbole and to be more thoughtful when posting stuff online.   

Feb 26, 17 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Thanks, Donna. Quite enjoyable.

Feb 26, 17 2:10 pm  · 
 · 

I loooved the Es Devlin ep so much. And I loved that we got to meet her parents, as well as Bjarke's. Her story about taking the train to London when she was 11 (!) to take music lessons reminded me that most kids I know, including my own, don't have that kind of freedom and I want to push harder toward letting mine have it.

Feb 26, 17 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Id really like to see more of how her work gets from concept to built form. There must be tons of techy experiments behind the scenes to get all the effects just right. Seems really complicated and the spaces she creates are really
otherworldly. I was blown away by her work.

Feb 26, 17 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

I agree Jla-x, I would like to see that as well. Particularly the working relationship between her and her team. It was really interesting to me that she outright said she didn't know how the technology worked, and basically that she didn't think it was important for her to know to be good at her job.

That's a mentality that drives me nuts in architecture, but I think it's more reasonable for her field.

Feb 26, 17 3:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: