15 of NYC's Ugliest Buildings, as voted by Curbed readers:

http://ny.curbed.com/maps/ugliest-buildings-nyc

Feb 20, 17 10:32 pm
TIQM
Offered for your enjoyment. :)
Feb 20, 17 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

If these are the ugliest, then NYC's got it pretty good.  I gotta think there are far worse...

Feb 21, 17 12:15 am  · 
 · 
TIQM
Which one is your favorite, Citizen?

:)
Feb 21, 17 12:41 am  · 
 · 
citizen

I've always had a soft spot for the Pan-Am building...

And I'm not saying that these are good-looking, only that there must be uglier ones in a city that size.

Feb 21, 17 1:35 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I think it's more a kind of list of failed buildings (by high-profile architects) that didn't deliver on an urban scale than per se being ugly.

Feb 21, 17 4:05 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I like 432 Park Ave and think it is far more elegant than the ugly disfunctioned trash can it drew inspiration from.

Feb 21, 17 6:50 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

15 of the most high profile buildings that some hack journalist that knows nothing about architecture or urbanism thinks are ugly.

Feb 21, 17 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

Curbed readers voted on this list.

Feb 21, 17 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

They were given a list to vote on. Chigurh's comment still stands due to the list. If we were actually talking about the real "ugliest buildings" , I'm sure none of these would be on the list.

Feb 21, 17 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

I don't see that they were given a list to vote on. Maybe I'm missing it. Here is what the blog post said: "What do you think are the city’s ugliest buildings? New, old, tall, squat—as long as it’s within the five boroughs, it’s fair game."

Feb 21, 17 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

how about the duane reade with feces on the windows.

Feb 21, 17 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

There was definitely a list given. People are lazy. Nearly every single building they mentioned in the article showed up on the final list. It's really a miracle all of them didn't.

Feb 21, 17 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

Well.. There was a very short list of suggested buildings. I count six suggestions, of which three showed up on the list of 15.

Feb 21, 17 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

I agree with Curbed - I think that 432 Park Avenue is a blight on the neighborhood.  I think it's inelegant and blocky, and it's too tall.  In my opinion it's ruined the Midtown skyline.

And don't get me started on Pan-Am...

Feb 21, 17 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

ha!  ruined the midtown skyline....like that is some gem to be preserved. Welcome to development.  I don't even understand how it could be a blight on the neighborhood, the footprint is one block, if that, and the height doesn't even matter when you are standing on ground level.  A bunch of rich people go up into their units and disappear.  Manhattan is a playground for the rich if you don't have the money to pay to play, move to Jersey.   

Feb 21, 17 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

I think it is a gem to be preserved.  The view south from the park is really inspiring and important.  And 432 Park sticks out like a sore thumb. 

What do you like about it?

Feb 21, 17 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

Nothing really, but I don't have anything against it.  Seems to be a run of the mill modernist tower. Height is a non-issue, because it being the tallest in Manhattan will only be temporary, as the "tallest" is the most ephemeral title.  You oppose development and I am against that, NIMBYS suck.  I get it, a high profile tower for the rich is an easy thing to attack, but is it really one of the worst buildings?  No.

Feb 21, 17 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

I'm not opposed to development. I'm opposed to ugly, blocky buildings that are out of scale with the neighborhood.

Feb 21, 17 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

yea, well, that's just like, your opinion man.

Feb 21, 17 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

Of course it is. :)

Feb 21, 17 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Surprised the Via by BIG isn't on that list. I suppose people do like that shit.

Feb 21, 17 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I think that's one of his better buildings. Maybe one of his last great buildings.

Feb 22, 17 3:44 pm  · 
 · 

I'm surprised that David Adjaye's Sugar Hill Building wasn't on the list:

http://archinect.com/news/article/88063915/david-adjaye-s-sugar-hill-building-sparks-controversy

Feb 22, 17 9:06 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Really? You're surprised? Do you think Curbed knows how to get to Sugar Hill, let alone, get Sugar Hill?

Feb 22, 17 9:22 am  · 
 · 
randomised

That building is great! The offset, the sawtooth, the daylight from multiple angles and the public program/design. 

http://store.frameweb.com/frame-publishers-mark-53.html

Feb 22, 17 9:39 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

I still like this building.

Feb 22, 17 9:24 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

the Eiffel tower was Ugly! The one in Paris, not Las Vegas

Feb 23, 17 7:21 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

completely agree

Feb 23, 17 11:11 am  · 
 · 
On the fence

I don't agree entirely with this list, at least five are not ugly IMHO.  Including the Trump tower, and I am no fan of Trump.  But it definitely does not belong on this list where some of these buildings are pure garbage.

Feb 23, 17 9:26 am  · 
 · 
think_again

new york's walmarts

Feb 24, 17 11:13 am  · 
 · 
marki543

list is little not true there exsist more ugliest building what is not in list and on list have some really cool buildings..

Feb 27, 17 10:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: