Archinect
anchor

Gross conditioned area

Stephen Sy

Hi I have a question regarding Gross conditioned area. Imagine a cube house 10ft x 10ft. There's an through opening of 5ftx5ft on 2nd floor. Net flooring area = 175sf.  Is the gross conditioned sqft = 200sqft? Thanks.

Feb 13, 17 3:33 pm
Non Sequitur

That's a small house.

Normally shafts and stairs are not accounted for on non-ground levels.

Feb 13, 17 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

no - but make sure you look up who you are defining it for and what their definition is.

Feb 13, 17 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Stephen Sy

LOL small house indeed, was trying to reach the architects for their definition but to no response, what if the wording is: gross conditioned floor area?

Feb 13, 17 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Conditioned space is usually considered as a volume, not an area.

If you're dealing with an occupancy situation, then it depends on the type of occupancy.  There are net calculations, and gross calculations. 

Feb 13, 17 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Chigurh is right--you need to find out the definition.

I would say conditioned AREA is 175 sf.  Conditioned  VOLUME would be (essentially) 2 times 100sf times the height from finished first floor to second floor ceiling.  You would leave the two-story space in since you are conditioning it even though you can't walk on it.  Interesting question whether the floor structure should be subtracted.

Area is square feet; volume is cubic feet.

Feb 13, 17 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
jungle

as others have pointed out, I've seen this definition vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. check the local zoning ordinance for the town on which the property is located and look for a chapter titled 'defininitions.'

i imagine it would be 175sqft as others have mentioned, but if the definition requires you to measure to the exterior face it might be a grey area.

Feb 13, 17 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen
How sickening. Difenetly a gross conditioned area.
Feb 13, 17 10:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: