Archinect
anchor

Must see/do things in Tokyo?

techtonic

I will be travelling to Tokyo at the end of March/beginning of April. Besides your typical tourist traps and suggestions like the Nakagin Capsule Tower, Sensoji at Asakusa or viewing Cherry Blossoms, does anyone have some favorite architectural/cultural sites and experiences to recommend? Thanks!

Feb 13, 17 2:35 pm
archietechie's comment has been hidden
archietechie

Here you go OP:

www.goo.gl/iA3Ufe

Tried my best given that your request is pretty vague

Feb 13, 17 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Sadly, in preparation for the 2020 Olympics, many areas of Tokyo have been demolished.  Tsukiji Fish Market being the biggest loss, of many...  It was a quick walk from the Capsule tower, so you could stop and see that wonderful dump, and grab some of the best seafood you'll ever have without getting in a cab.  Onto my list of things that may still be there...

1. Yoyogi Park, very near Shibuya, home of the Tange Olympic Arena.  Awesome park, You can do Shibuya, Yoyogi, Harajuku, in very quick succession. Important architecture, and a great area to people watch.  
  2. Omotesando, home of some more sweet, sweet architecture, check out Ando's Omotesando Hills Shopping Center with is trapezoidal spiral ramp, sharp concrete edges galore. (Not too far from Yoyogi, but maybe a bit too much for a stroll.
  3. Tokyo Sky Tree, if you're gonna be at Asakusa, why not?  Don't miss the Asahi golden turd while you're there.
  4. Tokyo Station - Imperial Palace - Diet Building.  This would be an entire day, but worth it, lots of stuff to see here.  Make sure to get a guided tour of the Diet building if you do go, it is a great experience.  -as an aside, anytime you can get a guided tour, do it...
  5. Shinjuku, central business district of Tokyo, pretty neat buildings here, free rides to the TGS observation deck.  Stick around till night time and cross the street to Kubikicho if you're feeling, adventurous...
  6. Odaiba, Full. Scale. Gundam...
  7. If you have time I'd head over to Yokohama - Minato Mirai - International Pier, and China Town, Cup Noodle Museum!

That's all I have for now, Tokyo is incredibly dense with must-sees and do's, good luck!

Feb 13, 17 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
Kidd

Mr_Wiggin hit everything I was going to say. I went there this past summer and had a ball. Also go to Harajuiku and Golden Gai for interesting sights and sounds (as well as drinks) There's also Akihabara for the Gundam Cafe and anime junk if you want to see those (be careful how far down you go, it gets....sketchy) Also, people watching late night is pretty fun. Tokyo Sky Tree is an amazing sight at night as they change colors throughout the night and LEDs twinkle.

I'd also recommend going off the beaten path and walk some neighborhoods and look at things in a different light. I walked a lot of back alleys and side roads and was amazed at the history of the place. Inspired for lifetimes.

Feb 13, 17 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
lilchan92

If you have the time travel to Kyoto. Spend 3-4 days there. Itll change you. 

Feb 26, 17 1:12 am  · 
 · 
Iwata

St. Mary's Cathedral by Kenzo Tange. You can visit the Imperial Palace, but make sure that you make the reservation as soon as possible. Get your JR Rail Pass and go to the south. Osaka and Kobe have a lot of Ando's projects.

Mar 8, 17 4:06 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Jiro!

Mar 8, 17 9:33 am  · 
 · 
mtdew

Go to the landmark tower in Yokohama. the whole super complex is very cool. There is a spa at the base and a lounge in the top floor that's worth going. 

Mar 8, 17 1:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: