Archinect
anchor

General contractor wishing to become architect. Advice sought.

wu-wei

Hi,

As per the title really, I'm a contractor from the UK. I'm 28 years old. I wish to become an architect. 

My work history:

I left school at 16 to work for my father who was a well respected contractor in my local area, as was his father and so on. I've been very fortunate to receive a good education of the process of building from him. Initially sweeping up and making the tea, through to learning various trades from craftsman who worked on our projects.

At 20 years old my father bought a plot of land to build an apartment block of 4, and instructed me to be in charge of the build. I was thrown in at the deep end not really knowing enough to take on a project like that at the time. My father was keeping a watchful eye without me knowing and I had a team of supportive tradesman helping to see it though to the end. I've been running projects ever since.

My father retired when i was 24 and I've been running the business with him at the end of the phone since. I've managed to build a reputation for myself as a contractor experienced in modern methods of construction with a built portfolio of mostly high end additions/extensions and custom houses. I have drafting/cad skills, knowledge of planning permission, building regulations and contracts. A lot of my work is via negotiation which gives me the opportunity to work with architects early on in the process to help with issues regarding buildability and costs. I like to think they value my help with material choice and detail design.

I've got an level 7 nvq diploma in senior construction management (qualified from experience) and I'm currently preparing for my professional review to become a chartered builder.

My ambitions:

I've been a closet wannabee architect for a few years now. I've been studying all the books universities recommend to their undergrads over the last couple of years. I'm quite well traveled and have always made a point of visiting acclaimed buildings wherever I am.

Quite often on my projects I install items that the clients budget won't allow for out of my own profit margin just because I'm passionate about the building. For instance installing additional aco drainage so that we can have level thesholds at the door openings, or designing and installing high spec lighting at my own expense (One area where i'm allowed to be creative as it is often overlooked or undervalued).

I've designed and built two contemporary extensions that i believe wouldn't look out of place in the various magazines/websites that showcase that kind of thing. I'm about to demolish and then rebuild a custom house of my own design (being quite conservative with the design) for my in laws.

I want to be a fully fledged architect and am prepared to put in the time required for study and forego financial reward. 

If anyone of your kind selves can offer advice or ideas as to best way forward for myself. I was wondering if with my experience and membership of a professional body maybe enough to enroll later on a undergrad degree or perhaps a m.arch. Or would my experience be useful to an architecture practice where i may be able to learn on the job?

I can always rebrand the business to be design/build, however I want to be a very good designer first not just a design conscious builder. I'm not particularly bothered about becoming a registered architect, a lot of the designers i look up to weren't. But I'm open to being shot down on this.

Thanks in advance, apologies for the essay.

Feb 11, 17 11:30 am
babs

You might want to start by changing your username to something less offensive.

Feb 11, 17 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

^ No bearing on his capacity to work either as an architect/contractor.

Grow a thicker skin.

Feb 11, 17 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

Your skills sound great. Just find a good university, apply and work your way through the process. I don't know the process where you are, I'm in the US, but here you pretty much need the degree, difficult to do it with on-the-job training. 

Although, you might also be better off teaming with a good architect, and doing design/build.

Feb 11, 17 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
wu-wei

Ha, it was strangely the first thing that popped into my head when asked for a username, its from a reeves and mortimer comedy sketch i had watch shortly before posting. Have changed name, sorry if it offended you.

Feb 11, 17 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
wu-wei

thanks gruen, 

For better or for worse in the UK you're allowed to call yourself an architectural designer and design buildings without having a degree, in domestic settings at least. I'm quite an admirer of John Pawson, who dropped out of university and is technically an 'architectural designer', which gives me hope that an alternative to the norm maybe possible.

I was also wondering whether with my experience i maybe exempt from certain parts or delayed entry to an undergraduate degree.

I was thinking about going the design/build route for small additions but via a construction management agent with open book accounting procurement method. As there is a design build company in my area that charges a lot of money but for very value engineered designs and a poor standard of finish. They are a big outfit and are very busy, I think it will be easy for me to look good next to them. However I don't think it will help my aspirations to be a very good designer. So i'm thinking about going the design education route first then doing whole design/build route, then hopefully dropping the build aspect to focus on design after i've acquired a good portfolio of my own designs.

Feb 11, 17 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

We can also do residential construction (usually just 1 family) without a degree. Some people make a good career out of this. But they can't call themselves "architects". 

If I had your skill set - and mine - I'd do design / build. I know how to build, but it's not my primary business. Running a construction crew is difficult, even harder to make money off it. But you can probably make better money doing construction than architecture. 

It would never hurt to get the architectural education, except it will take a few years when you'll be making much less money - because you are in school. 

Feb 11, 17 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

The OP's post is kinda like asking, "Should I shoot heroin just once?"

All I can say is dont go and pay for a degree or even waste your time in school for an architecture diploma even if you can get a free ride. It's a pure racket, and I would look into how to become an architect w/o the accredit degree. Or just move into development and hire an architect to work with. There are plenty of licensed architects that have never or barely use their stamp and work for chump change, just looking to bail on their crappy corporate job to work with a creative developer like you.

Feb 11, 17 3:56 pm  · 
 · 

+++ DeTwan. Don't waste your time. You're already designing, tool up staff if you need help, or even as a way to further educate yourself.

Mar 31, 18 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

After 16 years in the real world, architecture school is going to get on your nerves.  Listening to a bunch of (compared with you) little kids and out-to-lunch professors spouting nonsense that has no bearing on the real world as you know it.  Besides, who is going to run the business while you are off in fairyland for a couple of years or more?

Stick with design/build and teach yourself design.

Feb 11, 17 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Balkins, you really need to get a life, like the tinyist sliver of one... you can try. Push...

Feb 11, 17 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen
Lol 5-10 mins to write. What a clown / troll. Love it.
Feb 12, 17 8:52 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The OP could probably TEACH many of the classes he would be taking better than they are being taught now. I think it would be a waste of time, myself. Not having to f - - - around with RIBA - priceless.

Feb 12, 17 11:01 am  · 
1  · 
wurdan freo

Don't waste your time or money in school. Plenty of other ways to learn design. Taking time off to go to school will kill your business and network. I can't recommend that. I have two Archie degrees and am now a db contractor. I took the opposite path you did. Identify your design goal and then the steps to get there (hint: there will be multiple ways to get there) then start biting them off bit by bit.

Feb 12, 17 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen
Multi personality much?
Feb 12, 17 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
Archichris

Are you still located in the UK.  Would love to work with you on some projects, potentially.  I’m located in the US.  
Let’s keep in touch yaleroom@gmail.com

Mar 31, 18 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
daniellemacdonald

Hello,

I was wondering if you ever pursued your dream of becoming an architect?

Oct 30, 19 8:08 am  · 
 · 
whistler

One of the more successful residential architect / builders in my region is a guy named Russell Hollingsworth, his father was a very well known and respected architect and he initially worked as a builder for many years and finished his architectural degree quite late in his career.  only does the highest end work and has a very successful practice doing what ever projects interest him.

Oct 30, 19 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
cristiansebastianfernandez1

I am architect who work as a Project Manager for a General Contractor. I always loved construction, I work in construction since I was 12 years old, I was a laborer a mason, electrician, plumber, I went to college I got my architectural degree I worked as a designer for several years until one day I went to a jobsite and since that day I became a Project manager, a QA QC , an assitant superintenden , Etcetera etcetera, making much more money and having fun ! thats my experience, Dont get me worng I love the design but I love working for a GC. It makes my job easier during preconstruction, pricing, checking shop drawings, I can think is multiple dimensions and build easy, I can fix problems on the go on the field or suggest solutions to the architects, the designers, I am one of a kind where I am and everybody wants me, but I belong to the guys that pay me toda, tomorrow who knows .. If a GC offer me a good opportunitty I will think about it! Thats my experience folks !!!

Mar 5, 20 3:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: