Archinect
anchor

daily documentation

gruen

OK, I need to get serious about documenting my daily activities. 

I know some folks keep a notebook, and write down activities (calls, conversations, meetings, sketches, etc). 

I want to create a custom notebook that I can use for this purpose. (IE: a printed form that I can use to write down the calls, conversations, notes, meetings, sketches, etc...that is bound into a notebook)

The problem is that I work on MANY jobs at a time, and it would be onerous to have a notebook for each job. It'd be much easier to have one notebook and simply date and label each page for the day and job. But it'd be much harder to search the notebooks for a single job (for example). 

How do you do this task? 

Feb 10, 17 11:05 am
archietechie

Evernote

Feb 10, 17 11:23 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I have one book, a journal with lined pages, where I record tasks and time spent and info like phone calls. Every day gets a new page, or more than one if needed, and then I write up monthly summaries within it that turn into invoices. It is very easy to find what I did on what day and how much time I spent on it as well as what decisions were made. I have another book, a 9x12 sketchbook, where I record notes and sketches. The first book is strictly linear, the second is not and I add and revise stuff as needed. 

Feb 10, 17 11:25 am  · 
 · 
gruen

I appreciate evernote, but looking for a physical solution. This is intended to be a record years down the road. Does evernote work for this? 

Feb 10, 17 11:30 am  · 
 · 
gruen

Thanks TINTT. This is pretty much what I have in mind, but with graph/grid paper, and maybe a custom header where I can check off "phone call" or "meeting" etc. Maybe I need a really good rubber stamp. 

Feb 10, 17 11:31 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I use headings like phone call etc too. Also, if I have to follow up on something that I might forget to do,  I put an empty box next to it and then I can flip back through to identify those things I still needed to do like call someone back. When it is done, I check the box. 

Feb 10, 17 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

gruen - I don't see why not. With it you're able to hook up both on PC and your hp.

Feb 10, 17 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
think_again

In case you miss something, the government can brief you. It would be cool to wear a gopro too.

Feb 10, 17 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

problem is remembering to even write down what you did - notebook, app, whatever.

Feb 10, 17 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

Problems is if you need to defend it in court, say 5 or 10 years down the road. Courts REALLY like hand written records. I do a lot of documentation in the computer already (email and time logs) but I'm sloppy when it comes to documenting phone conversations - to the point where I can't even remember a discussion from a couple of days ago. I rely heavily on email. I'm trying to fill a gap. Another problem I have is doing hand sketches or notes, then not being able to tell which project they are for. Obviously, this is a problem with me, but hoping a bit of a system will help. I'm leaning towards doing a custom grid pad, that I can put the date/job on the top, and then file it in the job folder. 

Feb 11, 17 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

For my other business, we have a notebook that is used solely as a phone log.

Feb 13, 17 10:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: