Archinect
anchor

NAAB-Accredited Schools in Europe?

vchertic

Hi, I'm Vlad. 

I am currently pursuing my undergraduate degree in architecture from Lawrence Technological University in Southfield, MI, USA. 

I would be interested in pursuing a master's degree in architecture and urban design in Europe; however, I know that graduate schools in Europe are not accredited by NAAB and NCARB. If I would want to come back to the US once I obtain a master's degree in Europe, I would not be able to get an architecture license without going to school again. 

Does anyone know a way around this dilemma? Are there any schools in Europe that have an equivalent to NAAB accreditation? 

Thanks in advance! 

Feb 7, 17 2:34 pm
Mr_Wiggin

Equivalency?  NCARB says something about it somewhere.  That being said it was based upon work experience, not so much education.  So it might be a process comparable with that which folks who don't have an accredited degree have to go through in order to get licensed.  

Feb 7, 17 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

I was in this dilemma when I was considering transferring to a school in London after studying abroad there for one year. You have to complete an EESA (foreign education equivalency) to assure that the program you completed is similar to an American degree. From what I found out, it was a difficult and uncertain process, so I opted to go back to my NAAB accredited school. Check this out.

http://www.ncarb.org/Getting-an-Initial-License/Foreign-Architects.aspx

If getting licensed in the US is important to you, I suggest you complete your studies and then study abroad. If you are deciding between the two, I would study wherever you plan to practice.

Feb 7, 17 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
ha_ch

Hello, 

Check out the link below:

http://www.naab.org/international/substantial-equivalency/

although I am not 100% sure about how the process works thereafter.. you may need to pay some extra fees, but generally it seems that these degrees are easily transferable. 

Istanbul Technical University (as of January 1, 2008)

Istanbul, TURKEY

Bachelor of Architecture (4 years) plus Master of Architecture (2 years)

Universidad Europea de Madrid (as of January 1, 2015)
Madrid, Spain
Master’s Degree in Architecture
Bachelor’s Degree in Fundamentals of Architecture
Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture

Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (as of January 1, 2015)
Madrid, Spain

Degree in Architecture (Syllabus 1996)
Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture + Master’s Degree in Architecture (Syllabus 2010)

Mar 1, 17 5:11 am  · 
 · 
hcamp

Just to note that as of 2018, UCD School of Architecture in Dublin - an English-language program established over 100 years ago, with many prominent alumni including O'Donnell + Tuomey and Grafton Architects - also has NAAB substantial equivalency, and welcomes applications from US-based students.

Nov 7, 18 5:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: