Archinect
anchor

Fry Reglet Door Frames?

mega_pointe

Has anyone ever specified Fry Reglet door frames in a commercial project? If so, were you happy with them when it came to both aesthetic and durability?

I'm struggling with the fact that my office defaults to hollow metal door frames for interior doors on commercial projects. They're often visibly bulky and are not often conducive to a modern aesthetic. However, you cannot argue with their durability! 

Have you used a Fry Reglet door frame or something similar? What is your office's standard for interior door frames on commercial projects?

http://fryreglet.com/downloads_productresources/MinimalistDoor_Brochure_090816.pdf

Feb 7, 17 11:16 am

We'll commonly use aluminum door frames from a plethora of manufacturers. Our standard is that there is probably not a standard and it just depends on who chose the frame that day as to what will get specified. We also use HM frames a lot too. That's probably the default until someone specifically wants something different and puts in the effort to figure out what they want.

While I've looked at the Fry Reglet frame, I've never used it on a project yet. Most of the time it comes down to the architect questioning the ability of the drywall sub to get the install to look good. So we end up with something that has a snap on trim that can conceal potential drywall sins.

In reality, I don't think that's much of an issue. We get good looking drywall in other locations where drywallers install trims and reveals, etc. Why would we think they can't handle mudding in a frame? Depending on how the GC wants to handle the work for the frame and the drywall, it could require some different sequencing than GC's are used to. That's probably more of an issue than questioning the drywallers' craftsmanship. 

Feb 7, 17 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

These are pretty swank, dunno if they'd fit the bill for what you need. Looks like Fry ripped them off, since ezy jamb was on the market first.

http://www.ezyjamb.com/

Feb 7, 17 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

We try to use Raco or a similar aluminum framed door whenever possible.  Its gets us an upgraded look while still fairly economical and easy to build.  The Fry Reglet looks good, but I would expect the GC to jack up the price to do it since its "different".  It may be less of an issue on a high-end project with competent builders.

Feb 7, 17 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
spiketwig

EZ Jamb and the Fry Reglet version are very similar, but I can't imagine the durability would be sufficient for most commercial projects. We usually use them for concealed closets and the like (retail), but would never propose them for say, an office door - the finishes would get trashed. We use HM for everything else, but I agree, it could look better. 

Feb 7, 17 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

I wonder if repeatedly slamming the door would cause cracks in the mudding?

Feb 7, 17 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
mega_pointe

Thank's for everyone's comments. I don't think there's much that is as durable and inexpensive as hollow metal frames. Honestly, if HM frame manufacturers would just come up with a profile that allows the frame to appear flush (or nearly flush) with a little reveal around the frame it wouldn't bother me so much.

Maybe I should go into the HM business.... nahh.

Feb 9, 17 9:19 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

mega, I would suggest that if it were that simple, something would be out there.

Feb 9, 17 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

You could use something like this frame and get a cleaner look with a HM frame by running the gyp up to the frame. I'd recommend a caulk joint to prevent cracking at the transition from gyp to frame. Still not as clean as the Fry Reglet, but its better than the typical HM frame.

They also have one with a built in reveal if something like that works for you.

They also have this frame that you could potentially run gyp over the frame and finish the raw gyp edge with an LC bead at the edge of the opening.

I make no guarantees if you need one of these in a rated partition.

Feb 9, 17 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
mega_pointe

Everyday Intern, this is exactly what I'm looking for! I just sent an email to our local HM frame manufacturer to see if they offer these profiles or could create them. Thanks!

Feb 13, 17 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
I've used e-jamb it's good. How many museums do you see with hm frames? Most of the ones I've seen have a fry-reglet type frame. The trick is getting someone that knows what they're doing with hardware and the ability to gap the door correctly.
Feb 13, 17 4:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: