Archinect
anchor

When/where for evacuation maps?

This may be the most boring post I've ever made.

What are the rules around posting evacuation maps in public spaces? The IBC says they have to be posted in all Assembly spaces. But they are apparently also required in every hotel or office corridor....and the corridor is not an Assembly space. 

And it seems like the public restroom would be an obvious location, since one may get trapped in there in an active shooter situation or similar, and would want to plan a way out.  But again, a restroom is not an Assembly space.

In contrition for raising this very boring question, here is a link to some of the very cool evacuation maps Eric Howeler has been posting on his Instagram.

Feb 6, 17 9:10 pm
Anob

I think a good rule thumb is to place them in "conspicuous" locations. Also signage manufacturers will have guideline plans to where you can place certain graphics.

\

Feb 6, 17 9:22 pm  · 
 · 

Hahahaha this post is so boring I even forgot that I had posted it last night!!

Yeah, I know that's really the ultimate answer, David. So I'm putting them everywhere that seems logical then if the Fire Marshall wants more we'll add them.

Feb 7, 17 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
In my all shutter house all the wallpapers is evacuation maps
Feb 7, 17 10:37 pm  · 
 · 

"Leave via doors" is perfect.

In a recent conversation with a building security expert I was told that their directive to their employees (security guards) in an active shooter situation is "Run." and while on your way try to encourage everyone else to do the same.

Feb 8, 17 9:23 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Are evacuation maps the same for fires and mass-shootings?

Feb 8, 17 10:23 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Ah, that clearly won't work in case of a fire, makes sense.

Feb 8, 17 11:04 am  · 
 · 
J G

Has anyone on a T.I. project in a single suite of a subdivided floor of a multi-story office building ever had to get one of these signs made? Feeling crazy after reviewing codes and don't see how we would need to, and never seen it anywhere else...

Nov 13, 23 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Yes. They are typically required by the local fire code. The California Fire Code has provisions/requirements for their locations and design, but local jurisdictions usually also have a template that they want followed. Practice varies on who is responsible for them - I've never seen it fall under the responsibility of the architect unless they are also providing interior signage as a specific scope of work. If you are in a multi-tenant multi-story tenant the landlord typically has a standard and I've seen them take care of it based on egress plans provided by the construction team.

Nov 14, 23 11:56 am  · 
 · 
J G

I ended up drawing over my own egress plan with a wide red line in illustrator. Sent it to the sign guys and $75 later we had our own. I picked it up and delivered it to my client on site. GC made no effort. Hoping it’s that easy

Nov 15, 23 12:37 am  · 
1  · 
luvu

Donna, is there such a thing as Fire Engineering Report prepared by Fire Engineers outlining all of those fire egress , compartmentation, fire safety system etc. The evac plan would be part of this report ( this is how it’s done anyway in this part of the world). 

Nov 19, 23 8:19 pm  · 
1  · 

What part of the world is that, luvu? Just curious! I'm in the US and was doing the signs as part of my role as Campus Architect in an art museum.

Nov 21, 23 10:43 am  · 
1  · 

Saw these in a high school recently, thought they were cute. 

Nov 21, 23 10:42 am  · 
 · 
J G

these are cool. What is also interesting about these is how ADA requires that signs identifying rooms be made accessible with raised lettering, braille, and contrast. Fire escape route diagrams cannot comply with this, but are intended to be even more clearly identifiable and understandable to someone leaving during an emergency. Obviously, ADA signage wouldn't be practicable to comply as visual diagrams cannot be translated into tactile language

Nov 21, 23 6:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: