Archinect
anchor

Employers: what it is you need but rarely get?

architectura

Are there problems you encounter and have difficulty finding people who can solve them?

What makes an employee very valuable?

Feb 4, 17 8:16 am

3 Featured Comments

All 19 Comments

Featured Comment
BulgarBlogger

Fast and accurate with a good design sense who has extensive knowledge of the technical, code, and permitting issues; someone who can work well with others and can communicate well and win the favor of the client.

Feb 4, 17 9:10 am  · 
 · 
flatroof

Desperate people who will work for peanuts.

Feb 4, 17 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

@Flatroof - Blame Non-Sequitor for that xD

Feb 4, 17 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
What did I do?
Feb 4, 17 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

you know NS is canadian right?  they pay in the metric system up there.

Feb 4, 17 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

For constantly reminding students not to take up unpaid/low paying internships. (Metric or not)

Feb 4, 17 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Good one curt.

Not sure how reminding kids that unpaid internships are terrible ideas is a bad thing.
Feb 4, 17 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Didn't say it was a problem. Said you're probably the reason why Flatroof's having trouble these days finding employees

Feb 4, 17 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

architectura - why do you ask ?

Feb 4, 17 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Free beer.
Feb 4, 17 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

bulgar +1

Feb 4, 17 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
geezertect

Desperate people who will work for peanuts.

flatroof:  The post asks what you need but rarely get.  Working for peanuts is the industry norm and not rare at all.

Seriously, the ability to think 3-dimensionally seems to be the rarest attribute.  I fear the over reliance on the computer is aggravating this problem.

Also, a desire and curiousity to fill in the gaps left by their formal education.  Too many come out of school with the attitude that they are god's gift to the profession and that learning the nuts and bolts of building a building is beneath them.  Attitude trumps aptitude.

Feb 4, 17 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
bowling_ball

Ideally, one of the things employers look for is somebody who makes their own job easier; somebody who allows them to focus on running the firm workout a million unimportant distractions.

Feb 4, 17 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

An easy life.

Feb 5, 17 8:10 am  · 
 · 
zonker

My job is to make sure my P.A. isn't stressed - if my P.A. gets stressed because I dropped the football on the 10 yard line - then I (we) get benched or benched(layed off)

with a recession 100% certain thanks to Trump - it behooves us to drop the need for comfort and do what it takes all the time - far better to get less sleep than lose sleep when you are layed off and cant pay your bills

Feb 5, 17 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
Bench
The world is pretty black-and-white with you, huh X?
Feb 5, 17 3:12 pm  · 
 · 

Geez man, only Siths think in absolutes.

Feb 5, 17 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

You can't compete with the Xenakis' of the profession, better to enjoy life, do a good job and if a layoff comes, (due to the normal business cycle) get your license, do some side work, travel, possibly find a new career, I mean come on, the average salary is like 60k or something? You shouldn't have this crazy lifestyle you need to supplement. 

Feb 5, 17 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Got to think like a Sith with Darth Trump in office - who is going to point his economic "Death Star" (repeal of Dodd Frank) at us

Feb 5, 17 5:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: