Archinect
anchor

Recommendations for Aluminum Glazing System

Hi all!

Does anyone have some good recommendations for an aluminum glazing system that has butt-glazing (more accurately, no outer cap)  + operable windows? I am only familiar with the 'cap-less' system with fixed glazing. 

See the included photo of PLATFORM LA by Abramson Teiger Architects in Culver City.

Thank you!

Feb 3, 17 6:03 pm

You seem like a nice person and I'm feeling generous after the combustible stair and intermediate handrail thread earlier today. Plus this isn't something you can just look up in the building code. So here are a couple of bullet points to help you out:

• This isn't butt glazing, this is structural silicone glazing (SSG). There's a difference.
  • Pro-tip 1: Don't call these a 'cap-less' system, call them a SSG system. The cap (snap-on cover, snap-on trim, beauty cap, etc.) snaps on to the pressure plate in a non-SSG system. It is cosmetic to cover the fasteners that are used to fasten the pressure plate back to the mullion. Here's a diagram with some labels.
  • SSG systems will give you the "no outer cap" look because they don't use a pressure plate to mechanically retain the glazing. Instead the structural silicone sealant bonds the glass to the mullion.
  • Pro-tip 2: Don't call the visible portion of the sealant between two panes of glass structural silicone, or butt-glazing sealant or something else like that. Call it the weather seal (or weatherseal sealant) instead. Can you guess what its purpose is? Here's a diagram with some labels.
  • Operable windows like this are referred to as venting windows ... not exactly sure why. There's probably a reason, but I haven't learned it. 

Armed with the information above, you should be able to find a window and glazing system that will give you the look you want. If you can't ... Kawneer's Glassvent is one that comes to mind. YKK AP's YES SSG Vent is another. US Aluminum/CRL has a couple as well (7500 Series, maybe?). Just make sure they'll work in a SSG framing system.

Feb 3, 17 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
admiralArchArch

What is the life expectancy of that silicone weather seal? That seams like a fairly important seal that would easily get overlooked by most building maintenance people.

Feb 6, 17 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
z6jbishop

7 to 10 years. Although something like DOW 795 has a warranty up to 20 years I believe. http://www.atlcsi.com/images/Dow_Corning_795_Silicone_Sealant.pdf

Jun 16, 17 11:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: