Archinect
anchor

Does intermediate handrail required for exterior stairs and construction material

zhujie2088

if we have an exterior stairs more than 88" wide, do we need to put a handrail in the middle to divide it? or just two handrails on each side required by code?

in addition, any one knows if we can use combustible material to construct exterior stairs in NYC?

Feb 3, 17 1:32 pm

Have you tried checking this amazing resource?

Feb 3, 17 1:41 pm  · 
 · 

I don't get that either. I'm assuming that this is either exiting for an assembly space or a "grand" entry stair - neither of which you would want out of wood.

Feb 3, 17 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
zhujie2088

the client wants to have wood stair to match with house style. also. stair is wide and i am not sure if middle rail required

Feb 3, 17 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Let me check my standard detail cheat sheets....

Feb 3, 17 3:20 pm  · 
 · 

I'm going to go ahead and ask the question - first project on your own? Building "designer" and not architect?

Feb 3, 17 3:26 pm  · 
 · 

Aw c'mon David, teach a designer to fish. Next you'll be posting the section for where to calculate the required egress width. 

Feb 3, 17 3:56 pm  · 
 · 

I know, I fall into the same trap sometimes.

This should answer the question about whether it can be built out of combustible material ... but also might not answer it at the same time ;)

1009.6 Stairway construction.

All stairways shall be built of materials consistent with the types permitted for the type of construction of the building, except that wood handrails shall be permitted for all types of construction.

Feb 3, 17 4:16 pm  · 
 · 

So code analysis - $200 an hour. OP, where do we send the bill?

Feb 3, 17 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
arch76

you need a hell of an occupant load to require 60" of required egress width- especially because this would prolly be one of 2 or 3 required egress paths...

Feb 3, 17 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Here is a new house built in a trad style with fairly wide wooden external staircases. The half-story height is not to severe and it is not in NYC, however.

Feb 4, 17 9:03 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

David- what code are you using? The OP hinted this prokect is in NYC. There's the 1938 code, the 1968 code, the 2008 and 2014 code. We dont know what the occupancy is ofher than that it is residential- it could be R1, R2, or R3. "House style" doesn't necessarily mean or imply that the building is a single family dwelling, or maybe it does. Lots of unknowns...

Feb 4, 17 9:15 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Stairs in my all shutter house are all handrail.
Feb 4, 17 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The "pipes" are pathway lights. The one that appears to be in front is to the left as you climb the stairs. There are several pathway lights including some on the left side of the house as well. The house is by 'Historical Concepts' of Atlanta. The house is near Charleston, SC. And antique hitching posts, which these aren't, are often sought after for a garden or patio. Adolf Loos would not approve.

Feb 4, 17 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: