Archinect
anchor

automatic measuring?

gruen

We measure a lot of existing buildings. This is very time consuming. I've started modeling the buildings directly into REVIT - IE: sit on site with a laptop and laser measure and get most everything measured and modeled on site. This is a bit faster than sketching / measuring and then modeling back in the office. Fewer errors as well, because you are not missing measurements. 

Does anyone use a more technical / faster method? I've seen apps from Bosch that link to bluetooth enabled laser measures. I've also seen this:

http://aucache.autodesk.com/au2012/sessionsFiles/5915/561/VirtualHandout_5915_CP5915-V%20-%20Take%20your%20Building%20Surveying%20to%20the%20Next%20Levelnclass_handout.pdf

which looks interesting, but it's hard to tell if it would really speed you up.

Ideally, something that draws automatically, right into Revit. I'm wiling to spend $$ on it if it works. 

Feb 2, 17 11:39 am
admiralArchArch

3D Scanners are great, but once you import the point cloud data into Revit, you still have to model the thing, the point cloud just becomes a background.  Our firm found the point cloud data to be too accurate, meaning buildings in the real world are not plumb and perfect, and it ended up creating more work (but YMMV).  There is nothing out there that will do the work for you.

Feb 6, 17 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
jcarch

I'm intrigued by these guys: https://structure.io/

I can't find it on their site, but they also have a service where they'll take your point cloud data, and turn it into a 3D model for you.  I'd love to know whether they've got a human being doing that, or have automated the process...either way, as admiralArchArch points out, someone/thing is making decisions about how to streamline the data to make a model...so you're trusting that process to be accurate.

Structure's product also seems aimed at measuring interiors - I haven't followed up with them, but would want to know if you can scan room to room to create larger model of an entire floor of a building.

Feb 6, 17 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

point clouds are wack - admiral +1

Feb 6, 17 6:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: