Archinect
anchor

Firms that have switched to Revit

bglaser

Anyone have experience of their firm switching from Autocad to Revit? How did it go? Any recommendations?

Feb 2, 17 12:59 pm
Non Sequitur

Mine did, for the larger projects.

Went fine because I took the heaviest work load in the documenting process and am reviewing construction progress daily. Our issues are with the more transient staff that jump from project to project as help is needed. Their commitment level, or BIM quality lacks due to their less than ideal level of involvement. Also, junior staff might know BIM but they know fuck-all about putting buildings together so they'll obsess about making ideal families for every conceivable object but fail to document important or typical details.

Feb 2, 17 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

It's important to stress that Revit is simply a different way of accomplishing the same end goals. Many of your office "standards" will not translate verbatim due to the way Revit works. This might cause some heartburn from folks who are comfortable with the system and dislike change. Emphasize that the end goal (a solid set of deliverables) is still the same and that some change is always inevitable. 

Feb 2, 17 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Before implementation you need a plan. 1. Standards 2. Pilot 3. Revisions 4. Training 5. Go!

Feb 2, 17 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Step 1 should be to acquire competent staff
Feb 2, 17 5:19 pm  · 
 · 

Saw the Revit transition in three firms. It is hard for people mostly familiar with CAD to understand why things seem to take longer than they expect up front.

Once Revit is implemented a lot of senior staff push away from drawings and the bulk of the production is now solely on the BIM ready staff, this can be  hard for small firms when we need all hands to finish and meet a deadline.

It can sometimes be frustrating for the designers if they don't know BIM as they feel they are losing control of the design process.  

These things often sort themselves out during the up coming round of layoffs if people don't learn how to adjust to the new reality.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Feb 2, 17 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
GabrielleBovard

So why exactly do they think they are losing control of the design process? I always love the idea of being able to jump into a shaded 3D (which is poorly rendered, but the idea is there) and see how things are going as I make design decisions.

Mar 2, 17 6:43 pm  · 
 · 

It has more to do with their ability to use the tool, if they don't know Revit they lose some ability to impact and guide the design process and that can be frustrating. This is common in small firms where principles often lend a hand in DD and sometimes detailing critical items in CDs, no one want's to be sidelined because they don't know a software program.

Mar 2, 17 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

the computers melted.

Feb 2, 17 5:47 pm  · 
 · 

Chigurh, that actually did happen to all of the Dells at one office, weird.

Feb 3, 17 10:43 am  · 
 · 

^ When "Dude, you're getting a Dell" goes wrong.

Feb 3, 17 11:07 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

I melted your dell dude!

Feb 3, 17 12:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: