Archinect
anchor

Most beautiful English cities sought, and results by Bing survey

DonRomeo

Hi,

Some time ago Bing did a survey of British residents to find the cities they most wanted to live, and which h they considered most beautiful. And of the latter list - though answers were very spread - they only published the top 5 results.

These were the following, in descending order:

York

Bath

Edinburgh

London

Oxford

The others? I can't find any more results. And as I am curious as to the most architecturally beautiful/romantic cities in England specifically, I felt that Edinborough - as perfect an example of my tastes as it is - was not useful in finding the most beautiful/romantic cities in England specifically. 

Moreover, London is a toilet, and too broad for simply 'London' to have any architectural meaning. 

I would like to find out then, which other cities were deemed the most beautiful. Especially due to the list fitting my tastes. I too would have put York and Bath at the top- so I wonder which other English cities made the cut.

For those of you who are English, or have travelled around the country a lot - what would be your top 5 or 8 most romantically beautiful English cities? With a rough guide to 'city' defined as around 100,000+ population.

For those who are particularly travelled, perhaps you can suggest to me which cities a fan of Gothic Revival, Gothic, Georgian, Art Deco and Neo-classical, would most appreciate.

The hope is that these cities have a fairly contiguous, consistent presence of this architecture. Modern styles could also be considered.

Thanks very much for your help and/ or suggestions!

Best wishes,

Don Romeo

Feb 1, 17 12:34 am
DonRomeo

So not a very active forum? Or just few English people...?

Feb 4, 17 6:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: