Archinect
anchor

I'm not detail oriented

sidewinder

Hi! I've been working at a small office for about 7 months, graduated with a 4 year degree in May 2016. One thing that I've always known about myself is that I'm a big picture, idea person. I really struggle with being detail oriented and patient. I have to really really focus on all my tasks so I don't make stupid mistakes or miss minor things at the office. However, mistakes or overlooked issues happens to my work pretty often for me to the disappointment of my bosses. 

Any advice on how to succeed in architecture with these weaknesses? Any tips on how to become more "detail oriented?"

Jan 30, 17 3:24 pm

Find a boutique firm that only handles conceptual design?

Unfortunately those details you're missing can cost major money.

Jan 30, 17 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

You're 7 months in.  No one is expecting perfection.  They are expecting you to improve, though.  Just make sure you're learning from your mistakes.  

Jan 30, 17 3:47 pm  · 
 · 

That too. Hell, we're all still learning. It's not a mistake unless you don't learn from it.

(or is a $100,000 Change Order)

Jan 30, 17 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

create a check system, red pen for errors, green for questions and self notes, yellow for work that has been done or corrected & orange for special conditions. review your work 3-4 times. make a check list or system of how you check your work, I usually follow how a building is built, foundation up to roof. I do this for plans, elevations, sections, details. cirle things that dont make since with and ask for help. compare your work with similar completed projects in your office. cover your behind, by this i mean dont expect others to pick up your mistakes, if you work on a sheet, and someone else worked on a detail on that sheet, you are responsible for the entire sheet

Jan 30, 17 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

I agrree, is a lot to take in and learn, but another thing I have noticed, alot of you younger people are so distracted with facepunch, snapclap, instapost, tinderoni and twinger. spending alot of time fiddling with social media and your smart phone can be distracting

Jan 30, 17 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Join the hang, I missed a beam last year.

Jan 30, 17 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

it is very difficult. Of the time i spend drawing, 1/4 is drawing, 1/2 is checking my drawings and 1/4 is checking again.

If you get redlines back and there is a comment on one detail, check every other detail on every sheet you were given. 

If you are asked to model something in a file that you don't own, take the time to investigate how other things are modeled and use that as a template.

Anytime you do a task think about what comes before that task and what comes two steps after that task. If you can, do the two steps after. If you can't, make it as easy as possible for whoever has to.

Jan 30, 17 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Learn sales. Then you can sell the moon and stars, get paid to hang out on the golf course and let the other suckers wake up in the middle of the night worrying about the $100,000 change orders.

Jan 31, 17 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

not being detail oriented is being lazy - it will get you layed off

Jan 31, 17 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

laid off*

Meta?

Jan 31, 17 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Are you a systems thinker?

Feb 1, 17 1:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: