Archinect
anchor

Almost got into Cambridge... Will this have an impact on my future?

Leyland

Hi, Cambridge pooled me for Architecture (it happens when a college has too many good applicants), but then I wasn't 'fished out'. It was pretty close which is pretty sad. Will not going there and instead going to any other top UK uni have an impact on my future jobs/salary/probability of becoming famous (wink wink)? Lift up my spirits please. <3

Jan 29, 17 3:47 pm
TED

What were your predicted A levels? Did you get into your 2nd choice? 

If your plans are to design projects in an office, I don't think it will matter - You can always try for the part 2 Cambridge  - 

Jan 29, 17 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
Leyland

A*A*A* plus A* in the Extended Project (which I've recently got) and a very strong portfolio. I got into Bath, Cardiff and so on. TED, can you share what could be the other plans?

Jan 29, 17 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Bartlett?

Jan 29, 17 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
Leyland

No, didn't apply there as I wanted to avoid London

Jan 29, 17 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
Leyland

*by 'the other plans' I meant 'other than design projects in an office' :)

Jan 29, 17 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
TED

By plans, I mean career plans.  Do you want to be an architect working in an office? Or teach?  

You grades are excellent - I must say I had a lass in my studio last year who did her part 1 at cambridge - she was brilliant. 

TU Delft?

While Bath and Cardiff are good school, not impressed with design work coming out of the Unis but both will give you a solid grounding in technology, structure and sustainability.

Newcastle, Queens and Manchester had great end of year work last may (went around the Shows)

A good plan would be get a 1st, do summers abroad then plan to go abroad for your part 2 or go to Cambridge - 

The AA is in a bit of a mess for the nest year with director leaving so would not suggest it for your part 1.

Jan 29, 17 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
TED

In the end, what is most important is what you personally put into any program, how you challenge your design and observe culture and the world so you build criticality - 

Jan 29, 17 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
Leyland

I would like to work in an office the most (one day maybe in one that is mine ;) ) and perhaps teach but more as an addition to it, and only when I am at the point I can make a real contribution.

TU Delft doesn't have a bachelor's course as far as I know but studying for master's and working abroad sounds really intriguing! Do you know if the thing about RIBA/ARB accreditation doesn`t get messy though when studying outside the UK? Is experience abroad more valued (by unis, employers)?

And lastly - do you have something to say about Scottish universities?

Thank you! What you are saying is really valuable to me.

Jan 29, 17 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
Non-ASD Jequitarchitectur

Architectural education is what you make of it.

I suggest going to the school the philosophy of which better suits your interests. Bath is technical, Cambridge focuses on history/theory and UCL is artistic.

I suggest that you go to Bath, as it has an excellent reputation. Later, you can switch to a different school for the masters degree(Part 2).

Going to a well reputed school like Bath will offer you better employment prospects because alumni running practices tend to recruit students from their alma mater.

TU Delft's undergraduate programme is in Dutch therefore it can only be a choice for postgraduate study for non-dutch speakers.

The part 2 course in Cambridge is a masters in Philoshophy (Mphil). It is however RIBA accredited.

Jan 29, 17 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
Bench
I've been pleasantly surprised at the recent grads in my office that came out of Bath and Cardiff. Granted, we are very high-profile and tend to get a lot of top applicants, so that may skew our pool. They both seem to offer great foundational degrees. In particular I think Cardiff is an absolutely superb place to study architecture as a city.

I always promote changing schools from undergrad to grad, as the cross-pollination is where I see things really come together in interesting ways for thesis work, so if you're really set on Cambridge just come back around to it for your part II. However - it sounds like you've got a desirable application and I think all three options are valid. Keep on keepin' on!
Jan 29, 17 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
TED

@Bench + @daer,

Very nice to be in a thread where constructive suggestions is offered.

Thank-you.  

I agree with all your suggestions.

Jan 30, 17 12:36 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Cambridge Architecture sucks, don't even bother. They lost their RIBA validation for awhile. 

I would rather Sheffield, Notthing, Edinburgh or anywhere else..

Jan 30, 17 1:29 am  · 
 · 
TED
You are a twat
Go to Sheffield and learn about wank 1 story health building w pitched roof - aggggg! Cheers
Jan 30, 17 10:37 am  · 
 · 
Leyland

Thank you all for your comments. Plenty of informative and useful advice!

Feb 2, 17 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Good Luck @Leyland - you're asking the right questions - keep your eyes open! best -

Feb 2, 17 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

There are always 'too many good candidates' xDD 

Feb 3, 17 3:59 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Don't forget to also invest and investigate into the right internships at the kind of firms you would like to be working in the end or whose work somehow resonates with you, or where those people actually teach design studios.

Feb 5, 17 11:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: