Archinect
anchor

Switch From Architecture to…. Product Design (Epic Dilemma)

aleksandrspiroženoks

Hi guys, thanks for dedicating your time reading this. I have a bit of dilemma, a quarter life crisis if you will. To give a bit of a context, I am in my 4th (out of 5y) architecture course with 2 years of practical experience.

The problem I have is that I have a growing feeling for the past year and a half that Architecture is not what I want to be doing in life. I am now 25 years old, I consider myself a good student and my grades and quality of projects certainly reflect that but there is a kind of a nagging itch I have that the projects we do in school of architecture are ‘pointless’. By pointless I mean they cannot jumpstart individual career development as for example art projects or design projects in university often can.

The question I am trying to figure out is how to progress further in my life, what I know is that I don’t want to end up (the way I did for 2 years) working late hours in an office feeling miserable and depressed.

The end goal in my life, as I see it now, is to be a in a position of bringing value to society by being creator and innovator, someone who comes up with radical solutions. I think product/industrial design discipline might be a closer related discipline for my end goal in life. I have reached the point where I must start doing something about this nagging feeling otherwise I’ll go nuts! I don’t necessarily want to quit school as I have Invested a lot of time in the studies, but any suggestions of a career path I might take would be greatly appreciated, for example a new degree, part time thing, side projects,apprenticeship, internship, startup etc.

Jan 29, 17 12:30 pm
archiwutm8

Have you considered construction or engineering?

Jan 29, 17 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8's comment has been hidden
archiwutm8

Archid Architecture sounds like a shit firm with bad quality designs

Jan 31, 17 8:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: