Archinect
anchor

Any happy stories?

Wilma Buttfit

Dream, I think you are still pretty young, right? Most clients are people with money and authority to use it for a building project and this means they are likely not your peers but are people who have had many years to build money and power. When it is your peer group with the client pool, it inevitably gets better. 

Feb 2, 17 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Yeah, I am a little on the young side, but old enough. Thanks for your comment and thoughts, I am sure it will get better I am just going for something that is going to take time and I knew this already a long time ago. Any advice on visualization hires, does your company hire high end lower priced visualization services? What do you think about stock plans? One thing I don't know about is marketing for interior decoration services other than just handing out business cards and houzz, which I am on and got two hits for projects, one died and one might be a fake for a 3,000,000 budget 6 bed bungalow. Long story short I started designing the home and a bungalow is a type of craftsman style home so I thought some random square staggered edged siding, well placed brick, and gable details, shutters etc in a color scheme would work. I asked him to tell me when he would be back in town from a trip in brazil to pay me for starting, but have not heard from him since.   

Feb 2, 17 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Sorry, I don't have much need for digital visualizations and if I do, I have a few guys I have known for many years that I would trust with the work anyways. Visualizations are expensive and unessessary for most clients. Unless they need them for approvals or fundraising, most don't want them. A homeowner can be happy with some inspirational pics and some pencil sketches in lieu of a rendering and it doesn't cost a lot to do that. 

Regarding the bungalow, how can you design without interviewing the client anyways? The interviewing process is where you find out their needs, timeline, agree on fees and build trust. This is the only thing you should do "for free". No designing for free, no ideas. If you do, don't let the client know you did it. 

Feb 2, 17 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Leyland

Wow, I didn't expect such a discussion!

'IF you are a minority, brace yourself. This is a white-male dominated profession'

I'm white-female... But certainly Zaha Hadid didn't have it easy!

Feb 2, 17 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
cipyboy

Its best to see Architecture as something philosophical.. a way of life. You eat, sleep, grow and live with it. Everything else should be easier after that.

In short, your values should suit the profession, not the other way around. What Some fail to realize is that, they align fulfillment with $$$. The best stuff are the intangibles that goes with being one.

But having said these things, I still struggle to come into terms everyday on how the hell our consultants drives better cars on meetings :D

Feb 3, 17 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen's comment has been hidden
ArchNyen
This forum is not all about you mr MyDream.
Feb 4, 17 8:20 am  · 
 · 
ArchNyen
This forum is not all about you mr MyDream. Plus, where's you happy story for the post?
Feb 4, 17 8:21 am  · 
 · 
MyDream

Please, talk about something else, talk about your happy story. I was commenting about a comic strip and was attacked by a bunch of peps. I would have stopped at the comic strip and been happy but  when people start commenting to you, you talk back.

Feb 4, 17 9:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: