Archinect
anchor

Thesis on Disaster relief and convertible shelters

blairsimms

Hello all,

I am currently thinking about doing my thesis on disaster relief. I am trying to design a resilient community that can take on the task of building temporary shelters. My goal is to create a modular shelter that can be updated with more permanent materials for those who have to use these structures for more than a couple of months.  

I have found many solutions to temporary shelters but I am having trouble creating a more long-term solution. Have any of you done any work like this? Anything helps thank you!

Jan 26, 17 11:06 am
Non Sequitur
Someone has already thought of tents. Can you do better?
Jan 26, 17 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

A good start would be the book titled "Lord of the Flies". once the plane crashes, they form a strong bond and work towards disaster relief shelters that can withstand almost anything

Jan 26, 17 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

In colonial America families often built log cabins fairly quickly. After several years these were incorporated into conventionally-built structures with the logs being covered with siding in many instances. A lot of these homes, with their log cabin 'starter' portions, are still in use and are very highly prized.

Jan 26, 17 6:20 pm  · 
 · 

Katrina cottages, check out the prefab modular homes out there. You need to narrow your focus, disaster relief housing on the delta is much different than disaster relief housing on the plains or in a tropical versus temperate environment. It is hard to successfully come up with a universal single solution. Also search this site there have been several threads on his subject.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Jan 27, 17 9:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: