Archinect
anchor

Should I pursue architecture?

Archiii49

I took a suspension year during my second year of architecture and now I am trying to apply for economics while thinking if I should return to my course. To say it upfront, my family never supported my decision and I also struggled mentally during my course. I feel as if I might have killed my dream of becoming an architect, even though I dreamt of it since young and studied arts for many years. What do you guys think?

Jan 22, 17 2:57 pm
citizen

I have no idea about your situation without a lot of information that is none of my business.

That said, one of the great things about architecture as a subject of interest is that there are many ways to enjoy and even participate in it without getting trained and licensed to practice it for a living.  Exhibitions, tours, books, lectures, organizations...  all of these are excellent opportunities to enjoy architecture in your free time before returning to a more reasonable and less demanding, less frustrating job.

Consider pursuing it that way.

Jan 22, 17 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

No ///THREAD

Jan 23, 17 7:17 am  · 
 · 
Driko

No dont go back to architecture. take it up as a hobby, like @citizen said. When you are finished with architecture school you will be lucky to make 50k with a masters while your friends that studied business will most likely be earning anywhere from 45k-55k. You will have more debt so even if you do make a tad bit more than them you will be catching up. I know it sounds like these are little things that shouldnt stand in your way of your dreams but you are going to want other things in life than sitting in an architecture office putting in 60+ hours a week. 

i say stay in economics or even switch it up to something like Advertising or marketing something with a bit more art flare and keep architecture as a hobby. 

and before anyone gets frustrated with me this is only my 2 cents. so what i say doesnt matter much because there are architects who do like their work and i dont want to put those people down.

good luck,

Jan 23, 17 9:31 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Go into ship building, we will all need a good ship builder in a few years

Jan 24, 17 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

with a recession on the horizon - 2 years at most, I would think twice about architecture - I myself am moving into programming - 

With Trump - a recession is almost 100% certain

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/19/us/politics/steven-mnuchin-treasury-secretary-nominee-assets-confirmation.html?_r=0

Jan 24, 17 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Driko

1 man cant move global markets enough to cause a depression, The last depression was the housing market that was set in motion during the 70's and the dotcom burst was because of everyone thinking they were going to be a millionaire. I would put my money on the next crash being the education bubble. The president might put into effect laws that will either pop a bubble or offset the pop. 

for anyone who is interested on other perspective about education i would listen to peter thiel. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5NUv0nOQCU

Jan 24, 17 3:39 pm  · 
SneakyPete

Yes. Listen to the man who used money to get his way. 

Jan 24, 17 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

If you were put into a mental bad spot, then my advice would be to find where your passion actually lies.  This isn't a field where it will get easier and there will be less stress.  No no no.

Jan 24, 17 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

This bankrupt 'billionaire' president is going to pay off his foreign debts during his term in office.  America is going to be raped bigly xD

Jan 24, 17 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Let's just put it like this, I needed the money at the time so I went with a CAD monkey job in construction/surveying and I earned more than MOST senior architects. That's how sad architecture is.

Jan 24, 17 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

@xenakis, my reason for advising ship building. I hope it does not come to ship wreck but atleast a good ship builder will be around for insurance

Jan 24, 17 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

the title of this post brings a =) to my face.

Jan 24, 17 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
archeyarch

Architects should be architects.  Managers should be managers.  Many project managers and principals don't really do architecture. They would make a lot more in business doing the same thing

Mar 2, 17 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Look at all the related disciplines: Architecture, landscape architecture, real-estate developer, construction management, civil engineering, architectural engineering, industrial design, ect. and evaluate each. If it is architecture you can achieve that (in fifteen states) by working in a firm and getting your NCARB credits and taking the tests.

As an aside, a degree in economics doesn't get you much, whereas a degree in accounting will if you want to go that route.

I have been advising several young people to go into civil engineering and it has worked out extremely well for them, both from job satisfaction, lifestyle, and pay aspects. Just make sure it is an ABET accredited program. Take as many art history, art appreciation, and history courses as electives as you can with the engineering courses. Good luck.

Mar 3, 17 8:21 am  · 
 · 
randomised

You didn't kill your dream, you dodged a bullet.

Mar 4, 17 5:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: