Archinect
anchor

One year of unemployment

mayajarrah

Hi Guys,

I currently live in Canada, and might have to move to the US and spend one year there, in which I will probably not be able to work due to Visa restrictions (still not sure about the details).

I  have a bachelor degrees and only 1.5 years of experience in an architecture/interior architecture firm, and was wondering, how can I make the most of this year to really improve my skills as an architect, without having the ability to practice somewhere? What would you do if you had almost a year at home, but you're planning to proceed with your career afterwards?

A graduate degree is till now not an option for me during this year.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jan 20, 17 1:41 pm
tduds

Visit and draw as many buildings / spaces as you can. Read lots of books. Seek out local AIA chapters and go to social events / exhibits / lectures. Enter design competitions. Re-vamp your portfolio.

You don't need a paycheck to design. In fact, freedom from a paycheck might be the best way to hone your design acumen.

Or, if you want to go the opposite route, dig into code books and contracts and coast through exams when the time comes.

Jan 20, 17 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
think_again

don't define an architect as an accumulation of skill and eventually you'll figure out what matters to you. (here's where I would start https://www.amazon.com/Just-Work-Russell-Muirhead/dp/0674024087). good luck!

Jan 20, 17 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Freelance

Jan 20, 17 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

^  Sounds like he can't engage in paid labor, so freelancing might not be an option.

If your budget will allow, travel as much as you can.  Lots of architecture in the US.  Lots of shit, too.  You can learn something from all of it.

Jan 20, 17 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
earth

Study new architectural software. What software do you use? Technical skills has the same importance as the creativity. However, the product of creativity is subjective in architecture, but the technical skills are more objective. So aim for the things that can be objectively measured first.

Jan 20, 17 7:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: