Archinect
anchor

Clay render help required

MusicFreakArchiGuy

I am using sketchup 2016 PRO - 64 bit and vray version 2.0. I'm trying to make clay renders like these.

Unfortunately, vray gives me very bright white colours. Can anyone help me in a perfect .visopt file?

Jan 17, 17 11:38 am
chigurh

do a clay render and a hidden line rendering of the same view then overlay in photoshop

Jan 17, 17 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

^ I think he was asking HOW to go about doing the clay render instead...the white saturated look etc.

Maybe try turning off sunlight/artificial lights and adjusting camera shutter speed ;)

Jan 17, 17 12:44 pm  · 
 · 

I would try adjusting shutter speed up to start. It should start to address some of the blown out areas. 

You could set a color override to a random color, like red or something, and adjust the lighting until the color of the rendered image is close to the actual RGB you selected. That way you know for sure the model is lighting your scene actually.

Also, try turning on ambient occlusion, under the indirect illumination tab. It will give you more accurate shadows at inside corners. 

Make sure your shadows are turned on too. Doesn't look like they are. 

You'll definitely have to overlay in illustrator to get the lines as well.

Good luck.

Jan 17, 17 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
MusicFreakArchiGuy

Well, the shadows have to be turned off as seen in the sample image. Lines can be acquired using V-ray toon material. I don't know about optimum shutter speed. If you have any .visopt files similar to the look I'm aspiring for, then kindly share. I'll check up with ambient occlusion and get back again. Thanks for the tip.

Jan 17, 17 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
your conscience

what's the point? it's not going to make your architecture any better.

Jan 17, 17 9:04 pm  · 
MusicFreakArchiGuy

Obviously no render makes architecture or design any better. It's just that I am striving for a decency in architectural viz of clay renders.

Jan 17, 17 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

That example renderings are just using ambient occlusion (Indirect Illumination > am occlusion> on.  mess with settings to get the correct corner coloration) and no daylight.  The sun adds a yellow color.  If you want quick lines, make a toon material and load in your default white material (not perfect white but a slight-slight grey should be better).  If not adding lines with a toon, make a Sketchup style with just the lines and no shadows/materials/ect and save it out as either a DWG/PDF ect and overlay in illustrator (vector).  OR, save out a PNG or the likes and combine in photoshop with multiply (raster).   

Jan 18, 17 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
MusicFreakArchiGuy

I tried "just ambient occlusion", here's what I got. Blazing white patches

Jan 19, 17 2:38 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

^ Apply ambient occlusion in larger radii and toggle the subdivs.

Still wondering why you have artificial lighting effects.

Jan 19, 17 4:09 am  · 
 · 
randomised

It seems that you have "Glossy Effects" switched on under the "Global Switches" tab.

Jan 19, 17 4:13 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

357951 - What a stupid, useless comment. May as well say knowing AutoCAD won't improve your architecture, you don't need to know it then.

Jan 19, 17 6:40 am  · 
 · 
MusicFreakArchiGuy

The trouble with blazing is little less. However, it still exists. I am posting some more images..Please suggest some more ideas.

@archietechie , thanks for the tip. 

Here is the noon time render

Here is the morning time render

Here are the settings

Jan 19, 17 9:36 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Try switching off reflection/refraction and using GI only so without the shadows

Jan 19, 17 9:52 am  · 
 · 
MusicFreakArchiGuy

@randomised, I switched off reflection/refraction. Here's the result

Jan 19, 17 10:19 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

^ Have you tried youtube? Going back and forth in a forum for solutions doesn't seem very time-efficient.

Jan 19, 17 10:23 am  · 
 · 
MusicFreakArchiGuy

@architechie, yes I have. 

Funny thing is, that I tried rendering the same project in Rhino with SAME vray settings and it gives me close to the desired effect. 

Vray for sketchup is messed up or what?

Jan 19, 17 10:35 am  · 
 · 
alonsoguelcabrera

Hi, I'm also using sketchup and I cannot get it. Could you share the settings that you used in Rhino. That would help me a lot.

Jul 17, 17 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Why to use a time and sun for a clay render where you don't want shadows? Just go for "GI only" without lights and shadows and not sure about using "physical camera" either. $0,02

Jan 19, 17 11:51 am  · 
 · 
MusicFreakArchiGuy

" not sure about using "physical camera" either. $0,02" @randomised, where should I put $0,02?

Jan 19, 17 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
Driko

Hey 

check out these tutorials. This guy has some of the best renderings and he uses sketchup with some plugins.

https://visualizingarchitecture.com/tutorials/

Jan 19, 17 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Those 2 cents are my treat, enjoy and invest them wisely. Let us know if and how you fixed it, so more of us can learn. Driko, thanks for that, it's bookmarked to never be used again :)

Jan 19, 17 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
MusicFreakArchiGuy

@randomised. This problem remains almost unsolved for VRay for SketchUp. I am close to perfection as already mentioned with respect to V-Ray for Rhino.

@Driko, As far as https://visualizingarchitecture.com/tutorials/ is concerned, I am a big fan of Mr. Alex Hogrefe since 2010. Been a keen follower of all his videos. He's the best architect on this planet who teaches all the awesome architecture visualization skills. Another architect is Mr. Nick Senske. 

Jan 31, 17 9:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: