Archinect
anchor

Moving assets

shellarchitect

I've been picking up a couple side projects lately, most recently the client is a high profile  lawyer in the area.  I recall some talk of not using insurance and instead coming assets to either your wife's name or to a trust.  Anyone ever actually do something like that? 

My only asset of any real value is my house, since I'm refinancing I have to opportunity to re-title our house if need be.

Jan 12, 17 12:30 pm
geezertect

You're not going to outsmart a "high profile lawyer" on a legal matter.  A lawyer is always a dangerous type of client to have.  Check out his reputation if you can and be careful.  A lot of architects avoid lawyer entirely.

Jan 12, 17 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
stone

Be sure your marriage is on rock-solid ground before transferring joint assets over to your spouse. Once it's gone, it's gone.

Jan 12, 17 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Dont think it matters.  You need to check state laws.  Im pretty sure that in Community property states they are still able to come after wifes assets regardless of whos name they are under.  Form an llc and do everything under that llc.  Distance yourself personally from the client this way in the event of a lawsuit they can only come after the llc and not you personally. 

Jan 12, 17 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
x intern
Hired a lawyer to set up my company. I asked this same or similar question. He said all the protections that people think llc's provide where removed by law some time ago. Architects just never got the memo. There is no protection other than insurance for professional liability. Now if you live in certain states such as Texas they can't go after your home so it is a safe place to put money.
There maybe something to the oversees thing but others will have to chime in on that.
Jan 12, 17 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
x intern
Just FYI insurance when starting out isn't that expensive. I think it was like 1500$ first couple of years
Jan 12, 17 1:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: