Master of Architecture Program

mistermarkevantonio

Education Background:

• Top 100 University in U.S.
  • Majoring in BA in Environmental Design; Minoring in Architecture & Arts
  • GPA: 2.6
  • GRE: 282

Work Experience:

• Selected Group Exhibition: Exhibitor (1 Semester)
  • Related Experience: 9 Months (Research Internship & Archive Internship)
  • Other Experience: 4+ Months

Desired Institutions:

1. Syrcause-MArch
  2. SUNY ESF-MLA
  3. Renssalaer Polytechnic Institute-MArch
  4. University of Hartford-MArch
  5. UConn-MLA
  6. UMass Amherst-MArch/MLA
  7. Northeastern-MArch
  8. MassArt-MArch
  9. Boston Architectural College-MArch/MLA

Anyone who suggests me my chances of getting accepted to any of the above school. Thanks. 

Jan 12, 17 12:01 pm
Non Sequitur

Why is the GPA so low?

Also, top 100 US universities? that's not really something to gloat about.

Jan 12, 17 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

BAC has open admissions. So for that one at least, your chances are 100%

As for the others, your portfolio matters more than any of the other things you posted, so it's impossible to say.

Jan 12, 17 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

Your list is pretty well suited to your stats. Syracuse and RPI will both be long shots - I would say unlikely - and University of Hartford, and Northeastern are also more likely to weed you out early based on your GPA, which is very low for grad school purposes. The others tend to be less picky, but you're still going to need to make up for grades with your portfolio, recommendations, and statement of purpose.

I wouldn't count an exhibition as work experience - you should list that under another category of your resume, like "Exhibitions and Publications" or just "Miscellaneous" or Other".

Jan 12, 17 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
mistermarkevantonio

My GPA dropped significantly to 2.0 during my sophomore year due to loss of family member and I have spent additional time before loss and quite a while to recovery myself. 

I started to pull up my GPA during my Junior and Senior and my semester GPA has been consistently improving. I also have professors reviewed my portfolio and art work to make it as impressive as possible.

What about UMass, UConn and MassArt? Any idea of 

Jan 12, 17 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

UB or RIT both also in upstate NY

Jan 13, 17 10:36 am  · 
 · 
M_ARCHhopeful

@mistermarkevantonio I would not worry about your GPA as much especially if you did well in other semesters. You should however make sure you address that in your essay. Don't complain , just talk about the situation in a matter of fact way - for one maybe two sentences maximum and what you did to overcome the grief / show your gpa improved since. They appreciate that. 

The things you can control is the SOP and Portfolio. Work very hard on them atleast 8 months before deadlines if you want to get into an amazing school. Make sure they compliment each other. Go into the process with real conviction and make sure you have an honest and compelling answer to why you want to pursue Masters.

Retake the GRE.

This will put you in a good position for acceptance. 

PS: I knew someone that got into Harvard GSD with a 2.8 , you'll be fine.

Jan 13, 17 10:57 am  · 
 · 
Driko

i think they only use your last 60 semester hours to calculate your gpa for grad school. This is what i was told when i was applying by my counselors and my total gpa (4 year) was 3.4 so i didnt think it was low for the schools i applied at so no real reason for them to tell me this. Maybe call up the schools and ask them what gpa they look at?

good luck!

Jan 13, 17 11:37 am  · 
 · 
mistermarkevantonio

@Driko

Which school did you apply where you were told that they only use the last 60 semester hours to determine the GPA?

Jan 14, 17 10:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: