Archinect
anchor

How can I get back on track in architecture?

Beshoy Adel

Hello. I graduated from architectural engineering school 4 months ago, and I thought I didn't like the field, so I moved to graphic design and I fiddled around in it for the past couple of months, but then I realized I don’t care for the outcome/product of graphic design. 

Although I succeeded in graphic design but I didn't feel it’s meaningful enough. It took me to know that applying to more than 20 jobs and getting accepted lastly and seeing at my first unofficial day of work that I don’t give a damn about what I’m doing, graphic design just felt more sexy and less stressful than architecture, now I feel that I didn't give architecture a good chance and decided I didn't like it based on bad experiences in school or dull educational ways. Now I want to get back on track, unfortunately all my training in school was software courses and not hands on training, now I want to know what should I do, if there are any resources on-line for example to help me gain a little bit of expertise in architecture until I find an internship/job opportunity (I am from Egypt and I can only talk about here but ever architectural firm wants architects with at least more than a year of experience, almost no opportunities for fresh graduates), I started reminding myself of the software and started building a visualization portfolio but I need resources to understand a bit of professional, career driven, on-site/office architectural skills.

I'm sorry if my English or my question(s) were not clear enough. If anything is not clear please let me know. Thank's a lot.

Jan 5, 17 6:59 pm
accesskb

dude.. you've only been out of architecture for 4months? xD  People take a break from architecture for 5 or even 10 years before transitioning back. ;)

Jan 5, 17 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
4months and you're already at this state of desperation? Fucking hipsters!
Jan 5, 17 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
RTVSkaarchitecture

look, i'm not architect, not even close.  BUT-I say u go about this two ways: design some buildings the city you live in NEED & also try and get commissions.

Jan 6, 17 3:31 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Architecture is just 3D graphic design, think about it...... *mind blown*

Jan 6, 17 3:49 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Jan 6, 17 5:40 am  · 
 · 
Beshoy Adel

Thanks everyone for your comments regardless of the making fun of the question... Yes I wanted to take a break but I want to realize what I need to do, what should be my purpose, I want to do meaningful work :) and I'm not desperate by the way, I just want to take practical steps instead of staying lost. Again thanks everyone for trying to help, I appreciate it :)

Jan 6, 17 7:12 am  · 
 · 
3qidesign

Jan 6, 17 7:44 am  · 
 · 

I dont think its a long time. You can easily come back again in this field. Better to come back soon

Jan 6, 17 7:46 am  · 
 · 
After 4 months you're not lost. If anything angle the graphic design stuff into a marketing position at a firm then transition back over to architecture with said firm.
Jan 6, 17 8:57 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

4 months is a vacation, not a break... also, you need to actually work in the profession before "taking a break".

Jan 6, 17 9:17 am  · 
 · 

There's a track?

Jan 6, 17 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

My tracks diverged and architecture has split me straight down the middle today. 

Jan 6, 17 6:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: