Archinect
anchor

What were some of your goals after getting initial license

s=r*(theta)

Plain and simple,what were some of your goals after getting initial license?

Thanks

Jan 5, 17 2:33 pm
BulgarBlogger

Sitting for my CA license.

Jan 5, 17 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

Been struggling with this for a long time. I think at some point I'm starting my own firm, but I'm not sure when that will be. 

Jan 5, 17 2:50 pm  · 
 · 

Read a book for fun rather than to study for a test, and ... that's about it right now. Interested to hear everyone's responses though.

I can tell you I do not have the goal of starting my own firm. 

Jan 5, 17 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

My goal was to take a sabbatical. But then an unplanned job change sorta killed that idea.

Now my immediate plan is to ask for a raise.

Jan 5, 17 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

original goal: acquire license before my 30th birthday

Goal achieved with 8-months to spare.

Current goal, 4 years post-license: Read non-architecture literature, consume a different beer every other day, paint/sketch weekly, be a mother fucking project managing sorcerer at the office.

Goals 1, 2, and 4 achieved. Hoping to get back to no.3 soon.

Jan 5, 17 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

I wanted to get a Mondaine Swiss Railways Watch.

Still haven't done it. 

I aim low. 

Jan 5, 17 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Im considering: a few design competitions; leed accreditation; going after phd possibly; taking a spanish class with my wife; become proficient with vray and revit

Jan 5, 17 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Have this kid. Buy an RV to live in while I build a house. Perhaps going back to school to do something else or officially combine my two careers and reinvent practice.

Jan 5, 17 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Once I got through exams, I didn't want to make any immediate goals (unusual for me). Everybody kept asking "what's next?" which was annoying. A year later now, I'm seeing that the stupid stamp is worth cash money and leverage with both current and potential employers. It took me a year but now I see a way to take more control of my career, which is unexpected and empowering.

Jan 6, 17 1:09 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

Just put one beer in front of the other and keep moving forward

Jan 6, 17 7:39 am  · 
 · 

I've been thinking about this since I got licensed last year.I'm going to try start going to at least one AIA event a month and maybe do some random volunteering. Besides that, work on some other things in life and enjoy my free time. Also probably start condo shopping in the spring.

Jan 6, 17 8:54 am  · 
 · 

Fast cars...fast women.

Jan 6, 17 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

career: Learning the actual content so the paperwork meant something in the job, then being able to do the job of two rungs up on the responsibilities chain so I can move up. being efficient at work to have more personal time.

related: traveling to see and understand precedents; reading the best 100 novels, see plays, etc to be able to discuss these things within the social circles of clients.

Jan 6, 17 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: