Archinect
anchor

What position I should consider myself in ?

ahmad4343

Hi, I am going to study MArch in Boston Architectural college and I have 5 years of study in Bachelor in Architecture outside U.S graduated in 2011 and  4 years of work experience in Saudi Arabia. 

As the experience is outside U.S and because I will work for fullfillling practice requirements for the master , in which position I should put myself in when I go there or what employers will put me into in reality :

According to AIA website  there are several poisitons  http://info.aia.org/salary/salary.aspx  , I am confused,  can I count my experience outside U.S as an experience when applying to architectural firms in U.S ? or will I start from zero ground in Intern 1 category (hoping not) ?

Should I put myself in intern I or Intern 2 or Intern 3 or unlicensed architect and design staff 1 ?

Please advise,

Thank you in advance.

Jan 5, 17 10:23 am
Non Sequitur

Intern 1 as a base, perhaps higher if your foreign experience is translatable to USA codes and building practices. 4 years working in saudi-arabia does not, automatically, equal 4 years working in the USA. The content of your portfolio should determine how high up the intern scale you fall.

Jan 5, 17 10:30 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Doggystyle

Jan 5, 17 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
stone

^ sameolddoctor wins the Internet for Thursday, January 5, 2017.

Jan 5, 17 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
ahmad4343

Interesting, if anyone has the answer for that like what is the criteria used and other stuff, that will be awesome.

Jan 6, 17 7:13 am  · 
 · 
Fivescore

What you're describing is roughly the equivalent of a US undergraduate pre-professional degree in architecture, and a few years of pre-license work experience.  I certainly wouldn't consider you an Intern 1. An intern 1 is often still a student, has very little experience in any sort of design firm setting, and sometimes no employment experience whatsoever.  If your experience were US experience then I'd put you in unlicensed/designer category - but I do agree with the statement above that international experience doesn't usually directly equate with US experience.  People with a few years of experience outside of the US or Canada usually come into US offices and encounter a pretty steep learning curve that sets them back a couple years - so that might put you more in the Intern 3 zone.

I'm curious as to what you mean regarding practice requirements for the master, as US M.Arch programs don't have such requirements.  How much experience are you required to get for the program(s) you're planning to attend, and how does that affect the types of role or tasks you'd need to be doing in a US firm?

Jan 6, 17 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
arch76

Does BAC have the requirement that you work while you study there? If so, that may give your future employer some leverage as to their offer if this is an issue of pay. If this is an issue of title, I would read through the position descriptions on the AIA site in your link and determine where you fall on the spectrum + things like your code and construction competence, technical prowess, etc. 

Jan 7, 17 2:34 am  · 
 · 
ahmad4343

yes , BAC has.  How I can offset that wages per hour if someone can help ?

Jan 15, 17 11:22 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

A bad one, thats the position your in. Everyone in architecture is in that boat. Just look and where the stock market was in 2007, now today.

Jan 15, 17 11:42 am  · 
 · 
ahmad4343

DeTwan , i Can not understand you clearly what you are pointing, please explain more I need to listen to your opinion by numbers and exact position.

Jan 15, 17 11:45 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

All im trying to say is that architecture is at the whim of the economy. There is a massive currency war going on between the east and the west (US troops going to Poland & China building military base in the South China Sea) . China and Russia are going to be announcing a gold backed currency in the near future, they are going to start making their currency out of gold instead of the fiat currency system that is based on faith & trust. They want to be positioned to take the world reserve currency away from the dollar, which happened to Britain in the 70's. That is why the DOW and the US stock markets are so inflated. It's the only thing from keeping the world banks from imploding, once the US dollar loses world reserve statues, the US will be in a world of hurt. That's if WW3 doesnt break out before then... 

Jan 15, 17 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Bench
Yes those are certainly some truly architecture specific problems Detwan, the OP should enter a profession that isn't influenced by the economy and/or uses currency.
Jan 15, 17 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
I can see Nic cage as the lead star in detwan's movie.
Jan 15, 17 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Im sure youre as cute in person as you are on here NS.

Bench, just google "Is architecture a good career", first thing that pops up is, "want a job? Then dont major in architecture".

I wish I had someone with more insight telling me what a joke the field was before I wasted a lot of time and money on it.

There is only so much time you can spend in school "fairytale architecture", before you meet real world architecture aka 'slave architecture'.

Hopefully the OP has a lot family money from oil.

Jan 15, 17 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

And NS we all know how cool and awesome at life you are. But, do plz tell us again...

Jan 15, 17 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Surely better than you, but there is no honor in meeting the minimums.
Jan 15, 17 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

ouch...lol, you make me smile

Jan 15, 17 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Then my job is done here.
Now if putting my 7-month old to bed was as easy I'd be spending my time deciding which beer or single malt to have instead.
Jan 15, 17 7:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: