Archinect
anchor

Do firms hire fresh graduate from India as Junior Architect in any other country ?

Hi, I am a fresh graduate from Manipal University, India. I worked as a trainee for 1 year in a well established firm in Bangalore, India. Now i would like to get an international exposure and meet new people and explore before starting on my own. Can anyone please suggest do firm hire fresh graduates and if yes can you also suggest firm and countries for the same.

Jan 5, 17 10:23 am
Non Sequitur

Is your education and work experience translatable in another country? Codes, documentation practices and construction methods vary immensely between countries... let alone between the 3rd/2nd and 1st world regions.

Jan 5, 17 10:26 am  · 
 · 

My initial thought is that firms might seem reticent, at least initially. You might have to be at an intern level for a bit, but it all depends on your work experience as NS said.

Jan 5, 17 11:01 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

Large US firms will hire people from other countries, but it depends on your work visa situation.  Firms are not likely to want to sponsor someone because of the expense involved.  Your best bet is to have a student visa that allows you to work, usually for up to 1 year after graduation.  But with our incoming president, who knows what will happen...

Jan 5, 17 11:27 am  · 
 · 
randomised

If you require a working permit or any other special, time consuming or expensive permit most firms will simply not bother and go for a local graduate. Only if you bring something very specific to the table in case of (software) skills, experience or languages that are in demand you'll have a chance. So try studios that maybe did or are doing projects in India, or that you know already have staffers from India so they are comfortable and familiar with all the procedures and permits.

Jan 5, 17 11:38 am  · 
 · 
x intern
That's a good recommendation. You would be very valuable to a firm doing work in your home country
Jan 5, 17 11:50 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

True.  There are also large, international firms that have offices in India, so that might be a good way to get your foot in the door.

Jan 5, 17 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Small boutique firms do not hire international. It is very rare. The administrative hoops through which it has to go through with sponsoring a visa are much bigger headaches than most would like to deal with. 

Jan 7, 17 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

AOR firms in NYC do.

Visas are how you lock people into shitty jobs forever and ever.

Jan 7, 17 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
natematt
^this is real.

Problem is when firms lock down crappy employees haha
Jan 9, 17 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: