Archinect
anchor

Summer internship

eastcoast

hello,

i'm about to start my second semester of second year. I really want some real experience working somewhere in the field this summer. Not necessarily a firm but preferred. I have heard that architecture internships must be payed to go towards your hours but have still seen multiple ads for 'unpaid' internships. Anyways, almost every single internship i have found or firms i have contacted want experience. Either previous experience working in a firm or an upper year student say fourth year and above. I have several friends that either currently have or had have internships even after the first year studio. What is the best way or thing to do at this point in my education?   Is it appropriate to email local firms asking for an internship? i have heard this was really unprofessional but also that this is how many people get their internships.  I am actually a fourth year college student, but only changed majors to architecture after my second year so i feel like i really need so professional work experience as I'm trying to complete a fast track to master school so I'm not spending 7-8 years on on undergrad degree in architecture. thanks

-E

Jan 3, 17 11:52 pm
Sam Apoc

Go visit some local firms that you're interested in working for and drop off a cover letter, resume, and portfolio in person.  This gives you the chance to make a personal connection and shows more initiative than an email - which will almost assuredly be ignored.  

Do your research first.  Know a little bit about the firm, and know the name of the person you are trying to get in contact with.  Have a few talking points ready about why you are interested in working for the firm and be able to describe how you see yourself fitting in.

Some skills that will make you more marketable at this point in your education: Revit, AutoCAD, Sketchup, Photoshop, Powerpoint.  These depend on the firm, but those are some of the more common programs utilized and could help make you useful.

If you can't get a job in an architecture firm, work construction if you can.  Being on the jobsite is invaluable.

Jan 4, 17 1:35 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Just make sure you have a good portfolio, good software skills, know how to draw and how to make physical models with your hands and your good to go. Oh and address your cover letter to the specific firm you intend on interning for and understand what they stand for, maybe call first to ask if they could use an intern and who to address your letter to, and call back after a while, very important to follow up. They might be very busy and have forgotten about your application so it doesn't hurt to remind them of your existence after a bit.

Jan 4, 17 3:59 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Never take an unpaid internship.
Jan 4, 17 5:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: