Archinect
anchor

Class of 2017 (B.Arch, M.Arch), what firms are on your radar for the job hunt?

Just curious, as I am graduating in May and just today started listing out firms in earnest. I'll post some I'm into as I get time, but just wondering who people (specifically current but soon-to-be-not students) are looking at.

Good luck all!

Jan 3, 17 9:21 am
randomised

If I were you I would take a look at this list: 

http://archinect.com/forum/thread/149984131/examples-of-firms-that-are-changing-the-idea-of-practice

Jan 3, 17 9:37 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

1. Pick the place you want to set down roots and spend the rest of your life (where you're originally from or grew up is the best choice here).

2. Make a list of the firms that are doing work like what you want to do in that area. The local AIA might be able to help you with this research.

3. Put together a resume and portfolio that targets those firms specifically, and pursue work with them.

Jan 3, 17 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

This is what I wished I had done. Just showing up to work and doing a good job won't get you where you want to be. 

Write out where you want to be at the peak of your career, location, salary, type of work (don't just think architecture firms actually research roles. Then back track and realistically create a timeline of jobs and experiences that will get you there. Then you find a place based on that. For example someone told me their wife was a engineer but she started as a project coordinator for a developer and they eventually payed for her MBA and she's doing very well on the executive team doing way more architecture type things than a typical architecture PM.  Research multiple paths. There isn't just one. But research and give yourself a plan, there is no rubric for the real world and just showing up won't get you there.

Jan 3, 17 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: