Archinect
anchor

MLA 2018 Admissions Preparation

larissab

Hello!

I am starting to prepare to apply for MLA programs for 2018 and would love any tips or recommendations from the group.

A little about me, I am currently working as a UX designer and am seeking a career change. I have a BA in Psychology and an MA in Visual Communication. 

The schools I am considering for the moment are UC Berkeley, UT Austin, Harvard (why not).

I am looking into taking a course to prepare for the GRE since it has been quite some time since I have studied math. I will most likely ask former employers or professors for letters of recommendation. I have not started a statement of purpose yet. As for portfolio, I have a design portfolio for Graphic/UX design for professional purposes, how much of this would be considered relevant when applying for an MLA?

Any insight to the process or the schools I mentioned above is much appreciated, thank you!

Jan 2, 17 5:21 pm
Dangermouse

You're fine with a graphic design/UX portfolio.  MLA I's draw from a wide pool of applicants and depending on the program up to 50% of the first year student body won't have a design background.    

UC Berkeley is a good program, they might have a better appreciation of software interface design 

UT Austin is a fine program for Architecture but IDK about Landscape.  Maybe UVA would be a good corollary to consider.

GSD is worth a shot, you just might get in.  You might consider an MDes in addition to an MLA, depending on your interests.  

Jan 3, 17 11:25 am  · 
 · 
3tk

Depending on your interest, Penn (has new dean, formerly from UT-Austin), UWashington, UVA, Michigan, Cornell, WashU, UMN and UGA may be good to look at.  It goes without saying that to look at cost vs education and studio culture to find the right fit.  Each school has its pedagogy and specializations.

UC-B has had a strong leaning toward the social aspects for LA

UT Austin is relatively young program, but has had great faculty and alumni - note they are an open carry campus (one of the things that influenced the departure of key faculty)

GSD has that great reputation, though given cost can be a difficult post-graduation path

Jan 4, 17 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
cc1234

have any applicants for MLA 2018 heard back yet? if so, from where?

Feb 11, 18 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
minto007

I got acceptance notification from Penn today.

Feb 22, 18 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
blujay22

I applied to Penn, GSD, RISD, Berkeley, and UMass

So far I've been accepted to Penn and Umass

Feb 27, 18 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
vitafusion

accepted at Penn, GSD, Berkeley,

Mar 1, 18 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
Nirmit

What was your overall profile like?

Nov 12, 18 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: