Archinect
anchor

Setting up a firm to offer services in trade only

bowling_ball

I'm currently setting up my own small firm for moonlighting, and because I have a well paying day job, I'm thinking of offering services for trade only (one of my clients is the owner of a local micro brewery). I wouldn't be doing it for money, but only to take on interesting, little projects that my employer isn't interested in. Has anyone here done something similar? Am I completely nuts?

Dec 30, 16 11:10 pm
thisisnotmyname

I've offered to trade architectural work with my car mechanic, he needed some remodeling on his shop that we could have done design/build for him, but nothing ever came of it.  His work and my work were quantifiable, so we could arrive at an amount of traded services of equal value.

I've also allowed restaurant and bar clients of ours to do a combo of cash and trade where we take part of the fee in money and smaller part in a tab that gets us drinks and meals.   You carry some some risk though, if the client's establishment fails and closes down suddenly.

Dec 31, 16 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Beware that you owe taxes on it still as if it were income, according to the IRS. :( But that is in Merica, not sure about Kannada.

Jan 1, 17 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Thanks for the advice. All good thoughts. I'd only do trades that were quantifiable (like i said, beer... Another client is a restauranteur, another a contractor....). Not sure how I'd do the tax thing but I have a good accountant. Trade economy for the win. Maybe. Possibly.

Jan 1, 17 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Tiny, I am pretty sure that's how it works here too. Something about establishing value of goods received. I don't know, but there is a form for it.
Jan 2, 17 10:08 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

In the USA there is an IRS form 1099B to document barter exchanges.

Jan 3, 17 8:39 am  · 
 · 

I think the idea is amazing and could be a super fun way to approach a design practice. 

Don't let taxes hold you back. I'd go for it if I were you. Good Luck!

Jan 3, 17 9:54 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

had a friend who stamped a coffee shop set, drawings were done by someone else, in exchange for free coffee for life.  Everyone seems pretty happy with the deal

Jan 12, 17 11:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: