Archinect
anchor

Top university to do Masters in Architectural Engineering?

rmcilrai
Please list some universities around the world that you would recommend for a Masters in Architectural Engineering - and if possible give a brief explanation why? [More information about me below - if you have any additional questions don't hesitate to let me know. Thank you in advance]

I'm a senior at my university studying mechanical engineering at both the bachelors and masters levels and looking to possibly bring a level of architecture and civil engineering into the mix. The university I am at does not have anyone in the architecture/architectural engineering fields and therefore I have found it difficult to find a somewhat detailed explanation of which universities are highly ranked for the mix.
I am also looking to get a position in a design-build type firm - so furthering my education is sort of a backup for me at this point in time.

I have focused on energy systems, sustainable development and systems engineering across my two degrees - and would be interested in learning more about the artistic/relevant side of designing buildings as well as some of the structural side. I am interested in facades, integrated systems, large scale planning, designing to use the weather to the building's advantage, and incorporating more green infrastructure.

Dec 29, 16 7:00 am
Non Sequitur

Is google broken?

Dec 29, 16 7:13 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Google is working this morning. I just checked it.

Dec 29, 16 9:14 am  · 
 · 
rmcilrai
Haha fair - I found a couple decent ones, but couldn't find any clear rankings. I was hoping that asking people in the field (or closer to anyway) would be able to highlight some universities that aren't typically rated but have very interesting programs/extra facets to offer.
Dec 29, 16 10:35 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I know Colorado State has an architectural engineering program. I only know because I met a student in the program while riding on a ski lift with them and striking up a conversation. I imagine it is a good program. I'm not sure is artistically focused though like you mention you are interested in. My impression is that it is an engineering program specifically geared to engineering of various building systems, which is not architectural design. Prob you should find that out yourself though.

Dec 29, 16 11:33 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Here: http://bfy.tw/9BWt

(Be careful of the infinite feedback loop)

Dec 29, 16 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

I'm sure you realize this, but I just always feel compelled to remind people that an Architectural Engineering degree is an engineering degree, not an architecture degree. 

Dec 29, 16 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Stanford has a Masters in Env and Civil Eng with architectural design as an area of focus. I found it on their website. I love the Internet. You don't even to call or request a catalog thru the mail anymore.

Dec 29, 16 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
rmcilrai
Natematt - thank you for the reminder, I'm interested in being more creative than a normal pure engineering field typically allows for; I might be wrong (and please do correct me then) but architectural engineering also discusses the context of the engineering design from an artistic/aesthetic sense in addition to the specifications derived from the engineering perspective.

Thanks a lot - obviously any extra input would be great; whether you worked with someone with an architectural engineering degree, or read something random.

I am hoping for a more personal recommendation
Dec 29, 16 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I don't know why Arch eng would be more creative. Arch engineering programs are for designing engineered systems of buildings. You might have some architectural appreciation in your courses but architectural engineers don't design buildings. This was the same false impression the student I met was under. Architectural engineers design things like the structure or the systems in a building which may get creative but so could engineering for cars and other things. Architects design buildings which are only partly exercises in engineering. The other stuff is about zoning, programming, circulation, accessibility (ADA) context (historical or existing buildings) and the design involves presenting ideas (pretty drawings) and incorporating feedback (listening and responding) which are not engineering tasks. Sometimes the aesthetic or artistic components of the design are shared with interior or landscape designers or an engineer who specializes like a lighting designer could have aesthetic input on a building but typically engineers are not ever going to be the aesthetic driver of a project. Buildings are subject to laws and the laws as such require an architect which is a very specific thing and while architects have given up a lot of the design of buildings (engineering systems for instance.. MEP, fire protection, environmental control systems) one of the only things they have not given up is the aesthetics except as I mentioned before such as interiors and landscape, lighting. I explained this all to the student I met and it really pissed them off, they thought they were going to be an architect with the arch eng degree but you can't, because you can't sit for the exam which gets u the license and the title. You can sit for the PE exam is all. And if Im wrong, I'd appreciate any corrections. I'm not saying this is right, but it is the system and it is well established. 

Dec 29, 16 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
rmcilrai
Tintt - Thank you very much for the explanation (although a little disappointing). I don't want to be an architect really, honestly I'd like the qualification that allows me to better understand that side (as most engineers typically are very focused in their discipline and don't really seem to want to branch out much)
Dec 29, 16 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

In the program at my undergrad they did some design studios, but ultimately it was weighted heavily to engineering, and like tintt said, I think it was a misunderstanding for some of the students. 

Dec 29, 16 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
Kerist04
Northwestern has a pretty good program that emphasizes structural engineering and design that's pretty interesting. They talk about a left brain and right brain approach to the curriculum.
Dec 30, 16 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
rmcilrai
Thanks Natematt and Kerist04
Dec 30, 16 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: