Archinect
anchor

Curtain Wall / Construction Administration

BulgarBlogger

I don't have experience dealing with curtain walls during CA, but what are some of the waterproofing / detailing issues that come up and what are things to watch out for in the shop drawing phase?

Thanks-

BB

Dec 23, 16 9:00 am
chigurh

make sure they fit

Dec 23, 16 9:49 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
  • Make sure the guys don't fill all the expansion joints and bottom of mullions with caulking
  • Expansion / deflection slotted connections at u/s of slab and avoid your sheet-metal or gypsum trades to by-pass it by anchoring their plenum assemblies directly to the mullions.
  • Membrane tie-ins at mullion thermal breaks and size of said breaks
  • coordination of anchor plates with slab edge or other items (ie. precast)
  • Sill profile and int gypsum upstand
  • Venting behind single glass spandrels
  • Unitized vs stick built
  • etc, etc, etc

CW site coordination is quite literally my full time job since I do so much. I could go on for another 100 points in the time it would take a mere mortal to order a coffee. This is big boy / big girl pants wearing territory.

Dec 23, 16 10:23 am  · 
 · 
z6jbishop

Listen to this guy. What I always ask for is a monolithic frame - stainless steel flashing to be stripped in and terminated to the weather barrier. Then for the CWS itself it needs to be properly detailed and weeped according to the installation guide. Make sure your performance joint is beyond the dryline of the mullion in the CWS. If you have two joints, weep the second one, and make sure they don't install it until the first one is fully cured. I wish I knew how to do bullet points I would maybe give somemore little tips.

Jun 16, 17 10:26 am  · 
 · 
natematt

^All the work, none of the glory.

Dec 23, 16 11:11 am  · 
 · 
x intern
Learned early that curtain walls are the second most likely thing to lead to lawsuits. If you don't know what your looking at I recommend you pay someone who does. (There are people who do this for a living)
Dec 24, 16 9:28 am  · 
 · 
x intern
My lesson was seals shrink. if installed in the heat of summer and not done correctly when it gets cold the whole system will leak.
Good times.
Dec 24, 16 9:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: