Archinect
anchor

Recommend a book on lighting design

Non-ASD Jequitarchitectur

I want to understand the basics of lighting design, lighting requirements for spaces, calculation of how many many lights, what type and intensity to use for a specific project etc.

Is this stuff worth learning or is it the job of a lighting engineer?

I understand that a lighting consultant might be employed in large projects but when it comes to small projects is it the architect who carries out these calculations?

Dec 22, 16 9:21 am
archietechie

Mostly the job of the lighting engineer from what I understand but always good to know - given the architect is usually the project manager; optimizing costs; sustainability principles

I believe they make use of the sefaira software for these sort of things.

Dec 22, 16 9:29 am  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

@daer

An architect should know about the fundamentals of lighting.

I find these good, all round books:

Daylighting: Architecture and Lighting Design by Peter Tregenza, Michael Wilson

Detail Practice: Lighting Design: Principles, Implementation, Case Studies by Ulrike Brandi Licht

Hope it helps

Dec 22, 16 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

IES lighting handbook: https://www.ies.org/handbook/

Dec 25, 16 8:17 pm  · 
 · 

That book costs $600.

Dec 26, 16 5:36 am  · 
 · 
z6jbishop

I found it online for free (9th edition) before my PE exam. used like 8 pages of it lol. But a very cool book.

Jun 16, 17 11:01 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

You think you would get that information for free?? If anyone could get it that easy, why not just scrap entire field? Any Joe, Dick, and Harry would then be able to do their own lighting design. Is the book expensive? Absolutely! But if rather than complaining anout how much it costs, if you really "wanted" to learn about lighting design, just consider it a damn investment!

Dec 27, 16 12:04 am  · 
 · 

There is a huge difference between ''free'' and $600. 99%of textbooks cost less than $100. Unless this is the only and authoritative resource on lighting design, there is no reason to price the book at that cost. It's simply not a competitive price. I would be surprised if they sell more than 10 books a year.

Dec 27, 16 3:54 am  · 
 · 
randomized

Zumtobel has an extensive lighting handbook available as free pdf.

And the first edition IES lighting handbook, published in 1947 is available on-line as well:

Dec 27, 16 6:51 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Unless this is the only and authoritative resource on lighting design,

Do you not know what IES is? Of course its an authorotative resource....

Dec 27, 16 8:55 am  · 
 · 

I looked IES up. You are right. Also, I think you can get a discount as a student member. I might sign up.

Dec 27, 16 9:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: