Archinect
anchor

Shortlisting Programs for Masters in 2017 in US

How many more colleges should I apply to? Should I apply to single degree programs as well?

26/M/B.Arch/Freelance Architect/India-South

Experience: 2+ years.

Interests - Architecture with concentration in Sustainable Architecture (Micro), Urban Planning with concentration in Urban Design (Macro)

GRE: 157-V, 158-Q (=315), 4.5

TOEFL: 113

GPA: 3.52 (all years). 3.71 (final two years)

LOR: 3 - Proprietor Architect-Dr.(Former employer), Professor-Dr., Asst. Professor

Personal Statement - Requires 10% correction

Statement of Purpose - Requires 30% correction

Portfolio - Requires change in composition (underway)

Schools selection: Shortlisted 17 schools

Applied to: University of California, Berkeley - M.Arch/MCP, Georgia Tech - M.Arch (MCRP later)

Shortlisted in: Architecture and Planning

1. Harvard
  2. Iowa State
  3. MIT
  4. SUNY
  5. UIUC
  6. University of Michigan
  7. University of Pennsylvania
  8. UW

Shorlisted in: Architecture (Single degree)

1. ASU
  2. NCSU
  3. Portland State
  4. University of Minnesota
  5. UNC
  6. Oregon
  7. VT

Dec 22, 16 12:11 am
natematt

What's the objective with the two degrees? Most of these programs are going to be long anyway, and you have a degree. Most jobs really don't require both, if you want to do planning do planning and if you want to do Arch do Arch. Just my opinion though.

Dec 22, 16 2:25 am  · 
 · 
Apoorva91

looks like you are not sure of why you want to do masters. Until you figure that out, i see its a hit or miss kind of scenario

Dec 22, 16 11:46 am  · 
 · 

I will post excerpts from my SoP so that I can put across my intent in pursuing a dual degree. That said, I would be applying to M.Arch first and then would apply to Planning in the following year. Since UCB had a concurrent degree, unlike other institutions, I was able to apply to both the programs at the same time. 

Coming to my query above, the intention was to ascertain if I should apply to colleges which have both the programs or also apply to ones which have great programs in Sustainable Architecture.

Here are excerpts from my SoP.

"Driven to working towards the creation of an equitable and sustainable society, the need for
my graduate study stems from the requirement for better subject knowledge and expertise in
tools, to counter complicated design challenges. Being surrounded by numerous social
concerns in a developing economy like India, my urge to be better informed to tackle these
issues is the primary reason for my pursuit of graduate education. I have realised that
architects face limitations in knowledge and expertise to deal with macro level problems. The
intent to indulge in both fields, architecture and planning, is to respond holistically to the
creation and needs of a built environment in contrast to architects and planners separately
addressing concerns in their individual capacities.
Being a registered architect in India and a habitual volunteer, both professional and personal
experiences have influenced me in my career and life choices. Familiarity in addressing social
and design issues have taught me that problems at the macro level need to be addressed by
looking at them in parts and treating each as a micro level problem."

"The concurrent degree program of Master of Architecture (M.Arch) and Master of City
Planning (MCP) offered by the College of Environmental Design (CED) provides me with a
prospect to influence design at all scales, local to global. Accordingly, the faculty projects
reflect this outcome of the program. While Gail Brager has documented the optimisation of
comfort and energy performance, Renee Chow has explored spatial relationships among
buildings, trees and open spaces in Chinese cities and Jennifer Wolch has examined the
social inequity and environmental injustice in accessibility to parks and open spaces among
various strata in the society. This represents the discourse I would like to participate in, ranging
from addressing issues at a building level to contrasting the nature of spaces from the
developing to the developed economies."

Dec 22, 16 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
natematt
To be clear, you are not looking at getting a dual degree, you are looking at getting two degrees.
Dec 22, 16 2:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: