Archinect
anchor

MArch I Portfolio Review

shawnmeindl

Hellooo Archinect!

I'm applying for programs at GSD, GSAPP, Berkeley, UCLA, Sci Arc, UPenn, and Pratt for next fall.  I've already sent this portfolio out to a few of them but I have until Jan 5th to keep making tweaks.  I'd really love to get some honest and constructive feedback about:

A. how you all see my chances compared to people who've been accepted to these programs and

B. if there are specific bits that you think most need revision (keep in mind I'm looking for the kind of advice I can put into effect in two weeks)

Thanks and good luck to everyone else who's applying!

https://issuu.com/shawnmeindl/docs/20161214_portfolio_no_bleed.compres

Dec 21, 16 11:47 pm
Apoorva91

Shouldnt you be applying to MArch II????

Dec 22, 16 11:50 am  · 
 · 
natematt

^There is no universally definition for a I vs II programs. OP presumably wants a first professional degree. So at Harvard for example, the program is an MArch I, and the OP should try to get advanced placement. And at SCI-Arc they would apply for the MArch 2 program. 

The numbers only mean what schools chose for them to mean. 

Dec 22, 16 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
shawnmeindl

Natematt is correct! Technically I am applying to some MArch I programs and a few MArch II. I didn't go into too much detail because I was more focused on the work and didn't want my intro to drag on forever...but yes I'd much rather be in one of the programs that offers advanced placement, so I'm trying to get an idea how I stack up to other people with an arch background.

Dec 23, 16 3:11 am  · 
 · 
paulgermaine
I really like the narrative you chose to display your work. Not my style but I understand the intention you narrate the portfolio and then each project. I also think there is a lot of intent in the way you communicate ideas. My 2 cents is that the pages can be a bit saturated. I don't see a collage intent so I think choosing some things to leave out and adding inflection to other things would make the portfolio better. I hope this helps. Thanks for sharing!
Jan 2, 17 9:18 am  · 
 · 
shawnmeindl

Thanks paulgermaine, I've been thinking as much myself.  Since I posted this I've been trying to simplify/reduce as much as possible....

Jan 9, 17 12:11 am  · 
 · 
jessmgg

Hello! I am applying to some of those grad programs this year! would love to hear your background and in what programs you got accepted?

thank you

J

May 9, 17 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

that 'what to look for' page at the beginning is extremely patronizing 

admissions committees don't need to be told how to read a portfolio, and suggesting that yours needs special instructions is a) insulting and b) pompous as fuck

May 9, 17 5:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: