Archinect
anchor

Stamping, Insurance, Billing, for residential projects

PewPewPew

I have been approached to stamp some residential drawings by a small company that does plans. They occasionally need a stamp and have contacted me to work on a contract basis to review and stamp their dwgs. I have a good ongoing relationship with the president of this company. I mostly work on commercial work and have little residential experience. They need me solely to stamp dwgs. They said they would write a letter to assume all liability. I have asked to have an accord certificate for insurance with my name on it so I would fall under their policy. Does anyone have experience in this type of situation? I may be stamping 1-3 projects a year for them at the most. Should I get my own insurance? I am also interested in how to price this and what others are pricing for just a stamp and hourly to review drawings. 

I am interested in growing this opportunity to be able to one day get into residential design, i am wary of making the jump right now because commercial business is hot right now. 

Dec 20, 16 3:17 pm
senjohnblutarsky

I wouldn't trust that letter at all.  If your stamp goes on something, you should prepare to assume responsibility.  

Dec 20, 16 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
PewPewPew

What if they add me to their E&O policy?

Dec 20, 16 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Why do they need a stamp for residential?  

Dec 20, 16 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Typically, most states only require a stamp on the portions that involve unconventional structures, and then specifically want an engineer to stamp.  Are you sure they understand the local regs?  Whats state is this? 

Dec 20, 16 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
PewPewPew

This is for GA which usually does not require a stamp. It will be in a coastal location. The job is just getting off the ground so when I get the first set of schematic plans to review and look over who the AHJ is I will know more. 

Dec 20, 16 3:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: