Archinect
anchor

studying architecture - uk/usa

tommy1

Hey fellows,

I'm an international student studying in the UK. I'm goin to apply for university somewhere in England to major in Architecture  as an undergradute student, next year.  I personally want to study and pursue my education in the US although am not quite confident nor sure whether that's what I truly want nor if that would be a good idea. Therefore, my goal is to stay in the UK for the first-year of study and then apply for exchange student to study abroad in the US on my 2nd year to experience and get familiar with America. I'll eventually apply for university in the U.S. as a transfer student after completing my first 2 years if I enjoyed American culture, environment etc. Here comes my question! As you may or may not know,  it normaly takes 3 years to complete a standard undergraduate degree in the UK. From my knowledge, I believe that it takes 5 years to get  B. Arch or B.A./B.S. + M.Arch to become a certified architect in the US. If I apply for international transfer student in the US after completing 3 years of study in the UK, how will that affect me? Will I start from 4th year or 3rd year in the US university? Will US universities even transfer/accept my course credits? 

My second question would be, IF I complete a degree in the US, will I be able to apply for OPT Visa to get practical training? And IF the company or people I'll work for in the future ( if I'll find one T.T)  will sponsor me, will I be able to apply for H1B VISA which apprently allows you to stay in that particular country as long as you work for them?  It's kinda off the topic but am already planning  my future and it's quite confusing and overwlheming me as well >.<. 

Final question: Is my plan/goal even possible to achieve o.0?

Any comments that would answer my questions will be greatly appreciated :) Ty.

Dec 19, 16 2:35 pm
TED

Hi! 
Suggest you finish your BA/BSc in the UK and try to get a 1st in the award.  Generally US universities will see your 3 year award equal to the 4 year award of US.  

You would then be allowed to apply for an MArch II which is a 2 year professional award.  You could then apply for scholarships or funding with the full degree award.  Going in as a transfer student does not make sense as at best most will give 1 years.  Systems of scholarship and entry are much clearer- 

You might consider a school in a major urban area so you can build a network of possible employees while your studying.  You can get a F1 - one year visa but rules are changing continuously. Since you are 5-7 years from finishing US degree, assume all rules will change.

Dec 20, 16 7:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: