Archinect
anchor

designing and building?

omarshiltawi

is it possible for someone to design and build what he designed? 

I am interested in studying dual degrees ( architecture + civil engineering ) the main reason is to be able to complete projects all by myself.

I just want to ask anyone in here, is it a good idea?

Ofcourse I am still naive as I am only 17 years old. But I would love to finish projects myself.

Dec 11, 16 5:46 pm
Non Sequitur
Depending on the scale and local laws, sure, why not?
Dec 11, 16 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Omar, I was interested in the same thing, integrating training in both engineering and architecture with the intent to design and build projects. I'll tell you what I wish someone had told me: if you want to be a professional when you're done with school, meaning someone qualified to stamp plans, it's better to either plan on choosing one or the other, or to plan on more than four years of schooling. That may be obvious to some but it was not to me, so I did a combined program that was not accredited, and I've been playing catch-up ever since to my peers who chose one or the other. 

If you have the time, interest and resources to complete a full dual degree program, you will be highly valued in either field, and will have the skills to fully design a project for yourself or for others. Architects who really understand structure, materials and sitework are hard to find.

You should also know that not many programs actually teach you how to build anything; that's usually picked up on the job for residential work, or you can do some training in construction management for commercial work.

Dec 11, 16 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

After running  an Architect Led Design Build firm for the past 18 years, I would suggest taking all of the Real Estate Development classes your school can offer. A Master of Real Estate Development degree (MRED) degree would be good too. 

In the end, form will follow funding.

Good Luck!

Dec 12, 16 11:48 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

"form will follow funding"

HAH! This needs to be enshrined somewhere!

Dec 12, 16 11:51 am  · 
 · 
TammyMansour

You can surely go for it. But it will require great dedication and hard work. Doing both the courses separately will take long time to complete your education. But yes dual course program will let you complete the courses in less time. Best of luck.

Dec 19, 16 1:14 am  · 
 · 
arivas208

I work in construction management full time and work as a freelance residential drafter/designer. My future goal is to start a small design build company working mostly on smaller residential projects. I suggest you get your general contractors license and start off with smaller projects and take it from there. 

Dec 19, 16 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
nathanparker

I personally know of some people who does not even have any formal education but they built their ideas into reality. So i guess, anyone can do that.

Oct 26, 18 5:57 am  · 
 · 
monu1

Thank you for the informative post.

Oct 26, 18 7:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: