Archinect
anchor

Tapped to help out with the family biz....

manoverde84

So I've been tapped to help run the family biz which is subcontracting drywall construction co. Apparently, my family needs help with 30 jobs they're bidding and if even a quarter of them go through it would be tough for them to manage them all.

Currently, I have no construction experience. I took two construction management courses, one in construction contracts and the other in construction materials. So I know a cursory basic introductory knowledge of gypsum and interior walls. I know more about the estimating and bidding process, AIA construction contracts, liens, surety bonds, labor laws, etc. The closest thing to estimating we learned in class was how to calculate sheets of drywall needed through an app called Buildcalc.

I know how to use Excel proficiently and can probably pick up Excel estimating through some youtube videos.

Given all this I am sure they will train me but as far as what I know now is it sufficient to bring to the table? Would I just stick out like a sore thumb and need extensive training? How hard is it to learn how to estimate a job? I know Microsoft office, I have a degree in Economics and am comfortable with math

Can I hit the ground running? I don't want to be a burden. Anyone with construction experience, help! What can I learn right now to get a better understanding of what I am getting into before I go back home mid January.

Dec 11, 16 2:04 pm
geezertect

Why the panic?  It's a family business, not a meritocracy.  That said, estimating square footages of wall and ceiling surfaces is not exactly brain surgery.  Jump in with both feet.  You'll learn a lot and may discover that construction management is something you are good at and enjoy.  It certainly pays better than architecture.  That's a good thing!

Dec 11, 16 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Thanks! That's what I needed to hear, that it isn't brain surgery and can be picked up. I learned after my many attempts at design that I was much better suited for CM than architecture.

I just want to hit the ground running and not look like a total newbie to the family. I was just hoping  that what I've learned so far would translate into a small subcontracting drywall firm. I didn't want to go in not knowing a single thing.

Dec 11, 16 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I have no shortage of problems on all my projects with the drywall guys... so again, it's important to know that it's not difficult.  Just be diligent and read the construction docs.

Dec 11, 16 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Yes! I am reviewing my construction books on subcontractor contracts, bonds and the estimating/bidding process. Would just knowing the process of each help out. Anything else, the hands on work, can be learned? What you're saying Non-Sequitur is that it's not rocket science, it can be picked up.

Well on that note, I totally get the problems you experience. Growing up all I'd hear about were the issues my family had with designers and such. And given the nature of my family biz, they're in need of updating their software. I mean I think they still estimate by hand I just couldn't picture them using the latest software tools such as Primavera or estimating software. Maybe they do, I'll find out but I doubt it.

Maybe I could bring in new tools, learning MS Project, Primavera, AutoCAD, Revit, etc. Eh?

Dec 11, 16 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
What's bad about drywall is that the really good ones have high quality but are slow (have this on a project right now, their cutouts are seriously within a 1/4" of the junction boxes), or you have ones that work with your schedule but have average to bad quality. I've even had one where everything he drywaller did telegraphed through the paint.

That said, jump in and go for it.
Dec 11, 16 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Mano, Fine Homebuilding has a regular contributor who is great at doing drywall and at teaching. Check out his video series: http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2013/10/23/video-series-install-and-finish-drywall and his articles: http://www.finehomebuilding.com/author/myron-r-ferguson

Drywall is fairly simple compared to other trades but there is still a lot to know. How to stock a building, the different types of joint compound, levels of finish, the effects of temperature and humidity, the many types of cornerbead and installation methods... Can you get on a crew for a couple of jobs at least, so you see the hands-on side before you try to start managing people who have been practicing the trade for years?

Some of my family members were surprised to learn that when studying architecture you don't learn most of the actual skills needed to build a building. Don't be ashamed that your schooling didn't prepare you for the position you're now in. Respect that every trade is an honorable craft in itself. I've done a lot of drywall work and think of it as sculpting a flat surface. It's challenging to do a good job. 

Dec 11, 16 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Thanks so much for the links! I know I have a lot to learn and am prepared. I am glad to know that it's not super difficult and I am sure it will take time to learn it all. I will definitely ask to see the hands on side of things to learn the trade better. I do respect it and will do what it takes to learn it all.

Do you guys recommend any construction estimating videos that pretty much explain it like I am 5? Easy 101 stuff.

Dec 11, 16 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Mano, I've read a bazilion books on construction, management and business, and I highly recommend this one for someone in your position: https://www.amazon.com/Running-Successful-Construction-Company-Pros/dp/1561585300. I don't know of any videos but I'm sure there are some out there.

Another resource is the Journal of Light Construction: http://www.jlconline.com/business/estimating-job-costing/the-artful-side-of-estimating_o. They have nuts-and-bolts articles every month on estimating and running a business, as well as practical trade articles. 

Dec 11, 16 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Thanks so much!

Dec 11, 16 7:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: