Archinect
anchor

How is architecture really helping in building transnational anti-terrorism? Does anti-terrorism architecture even exist?

Just a question to all architects and upcoming ones:

How is architecture really helping in building transnational anti-terrorism? Does anti-terrorism architecture even exist?

Anybody got anything?any ideas or researches heard of?

Transnational anti-terrorism arch meaning.. modern architecture dealing with terrorism ? (If i can say so, i am just thinking out loud) 

1. Yes, i know we have rough army and we have castles and forts & we are thinking of building walls on the borders. What i m stressing is that:

a. Is it fair to even think that the castles or forts which is history, will help us protect from the emerging to-the-peak terror equipment in the future? After France attacks, govt has build smart bollards around buildings and their borders are quite open.. we being an close border country, how can architects, if they can, help in encountering terrorism. And not just on Indian borders, in states too, and not just India, in other countries too.

b. Since intelligent architecture is dealing with population, pollution, land issues, how and what can you think when people ask how smart/ intelligent / (not sustainable arch) architecture is dealing with terrorism issues, if it is, for that case?

Dec 10, 16 11:15 am
geezertect

Huh//////////  Me no understand question.

Dec 10, 16 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Bruh....you've got a damn thesis right there.
Dec 10, 16 11:42 am  · 
 · 

you need to refine your definition of what terrorism "is," or at least the driving impetus behind it. This will frame the question of what architecture's role may be in addressing this matter. Smart architecture may(not) be the mechanism to address it.

You don't want to find yourself in a situation where you are rehasing a historic type mode of attack and defense

-Or using a conventional approach to inappropriately address a given form of terrorism.

-Or being "innovative" and missing the point.

So- what form of terrorism are you trying to address?

Dec 10, 16 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

You talked about forts/castles and forward operating bases (FOB) come to mind in the modern context. Smart? Not really...since they still rely on guards/check points for entry searches.

You then mentioned "smart bollards" and other such smart systems which in peace context exists. Carpark sensors/smart HVACs/LED controlled lighting systems (Philips Lighting)/Israel's airport bomb scanners etc. do pre-empt the general public/facility managers said situations.

Perhaps you could then unify both fields and develop a defensive architecture/masterplan from there.

Dec 10, 16 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
TheGreatEscape

Fortification, deterrents and reinforcements are the ways that we as human beings go about protecting the things we value.  Either physically with barriers, walls, forts etc., digitally with passwords and encryption.

I agree with @JoshMings that this could be a great thesis topic. I'd be curious to see what you come with.

I would think that the real way to combat a negative is to create more space for positive. Perhaps "pro-peace" design would be more effective than "anti-terrorism".

Dec 10, 16 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Yes, it surely does. But I don't think you're cleared for that level of information.
Dec 10, 16 6:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: