Archinect
anchor

Brain drain

x intern

Has anyone noticed a knowledge gap created by the recession? Just wondering if the people forced out are coming back or staying where they ended up.

Dec 9, 16 12:11 pm
x intern
Brain
iPhone app doesn't have a edit post option
Dec 9, 16 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I have definitively noticed a lack of Brians.

Dec 9, 16 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

Anybody that didn't have decent skills/knowledge got axed.  In addition, an entire generation of grads ready to work got put on hold for 10 years, factor in millennials.  Everybody is busy again and that is the pool they have to draw from.  Answer, yes.

Dec 9, 16 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

"Anybody that didn't have decent skills/knowledge got axed." pretty dumb comment! 

Dec 9, 16 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

I'm sorry that hurt your delicate sensibilities.

Dec 9, 16 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
austin_tayshus

^ ^^ no need to apologize for hurt feelings, just about making a dumb generalization that isn't accurate anyway.  

Dec 9, 16 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

chigurh

Dec 9, 16 12:38 pm

Anybody that didn't have decent skills/knowledge got axed. - I was one of those who didnt have the "right stuff" so I studied hard and started my career all over again - starting again as an unpaid intern during therecession and now, 7 years later I am a project designer - it was tough I relieved only discouragement - 

Dec 9, 16 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

a dumb generalization?  give me a break - 2008 was a bloodbath - who do you think they let go?  those with knowledge and the skills to get shit done?  or the turds?  welcome to capitalism...babies.

I knew xenakis would rep.

Dec 9, 16 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Well, when the whole firm goes tits up the special snowflakes melt along with the rest.

Dec 9, 16 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
x intern
I think we all felt the pain. Dallas was a complete disaster. I was just wondering with building going strong if people were coming back or will we have a big gap when the current upper crop of architects retire. You can't run a firm with nothing but interns. At least not for very long.
Dec 9, 16 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I graduated summer of 2009 and actually turned down job offers until I got the right office.  Been busy ever since.

Dec 9, 16 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
zonker
And now with Trump in office, the Spectre of a new and worse recession is in the horizon -
Dec 9, 16 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
x intern
I got lucky and was only on the street 3 months but there were firms laying off a hundred architects a week around here. I was curious where all those people ended up. We didn't start a strong recovery until 2011 or 12 so I have to assume they went and did something else.
Dec 9, 16 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
zonker
The reason I was able to progress from the Great Recession was I had to realize 1. I wasn't any good 2. Do what it takes to catch up 3. Be willing to work at low pay and in sweatshop type firms until u could make the grade
Dec 9, 16 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
zonker
Meanwhile Ninjas like chigurh dominate the firms
Dec 9, 16 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
zonker
Chigurh - tells it like it is - people that react to him in a negative fashion demonstrate they don't have their shit together
Dec 9, 16 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
zonker
We're moving back into tough times with Trump - we need to push ourselves to be the best or get culled for good
Dec 9, 16 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

"...who do you think they let go?  those with knowledge and the skills to get shit done?  or the turds?  welcome to capitalism...babies."

I don't disagree here... but the tone sounds like a certain president-elect who shall remain nameless (and tasteless).

Dec 9, 16 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I started at a new firm this week, and one of the old timers I was chatting with told me that people at my level (5-7 years exp) are currently really hard to come by. 

Everybody got cut in 2009. The ones with passion stuck it out, the ones without moved on to other pastures. Now that things are booming again, anyone my age with talent has a lot of leverage.

Lucky me.

Dec 9, 16 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

tduds -2018-2019 - we need to gear up for it - it  could be worse  than 2009 - look who Trump picked for treasury(the foreclosure king)

Dec 9, 16 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I've got a whole year to make myself indispensable.

Dec 9, 16 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

i'm learning Dynamo and may consider switching back to structural - better job security

Dec 9, 16 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

"a dumb generalization?  give me a break - 2008 was a bloodbath - who do you think they let go?  those with knowledge and the skills to get shit done?  or the turds?  welcome to capitalism...babies."

To an extent, then no. It only works until the weak links are higher up the food chain.

Dec 9, 16 9:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: